i hate paying bills.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the $1000 bill I just got for heating oil.:confused:

Just think of all the beer junk I could have bought with that.

Try paying your own bills when you're "retired" AND paying bills for a startup. My company is shelling out $2000/month for a database we are leasing and we only have a handful of users, so far.

I dislike paying bills, but I dislike cold showers and sitting in the dark even more :)

i know am i not the only one that feels that my house payment is the only payment that i dont feel like being ripped off LOL:ban:

If you feel like you're being ripped off, then just get rid of whatever service you're paying for for a few weeks. If, at the end of those few weeks, you find yourself saying, for example, "man, what I wouldn't give to have running water again", then, I think you'll have proven to yourself that you weren't being ripped off.

When it comes to continuous voluntary transactions like, for instance, cell phone bills, the concept of getting "ripped off" is a non-starter. The simple fact that you continue to voluntarily pay the bill is in itself proof that you value the service enough to pay what they're asking.

:p

If you feel like you're being ripped off, then just get rid of whatever service you're paying for for a few weeks. If, at the end of those few weeks, you find yourself saying, for example, "man, what I wouldn't give to have running water again", then, I think you'll have proven to yourself that you weren't being ripped off.

When it comes to continuous voluntary transactions like, for instance, cell phone bills, the concept of getting "ripped off" is a non-starter. The simple fact that you continue to voluntarily pay the bill is in itself proof that you value the service enough to pay what they're asking.

:p

But what if he really wants the service that they are providing, but still thinks the price is way too high?:D

just complaining. i paid bills today. LOL. I just get pissed about some of the BS charges that i cant change. LIKE my comcast has a franchise fee cost. that some bs charge. I dont like being told one price then when u get a bill they tack on all these other charges. MY house payment PITI. Principle, INterest, taxes & insurance. Its one bill.

Very true - people ask me why I don't have a cell phone and I tell them that the cost outweighs the benefit. For me anyway.

Water, sewer, power... that is another story. The benefit of hot showers and lights at night make paying those bills worthwhile - even if I think they are too high.

Me, I could do without cable TV and their phone service. I may look into it depending on how well Sprint's mobile broadband works. You can now get their USB moble broadband and plug it into a new WiFi AP for the whole house. That plus my cell phones are all we need.

Time Warner is starting to leech too much cash.

But what if he really wants the service that they are providing, but still thinks the price is way too high?:D

In economic terms, it doesn't matter. If someone else is providing a product or a service that you want, then by the very fact that you are or aren't willing to pay for it, you have told them what you think. If I walked into a grocery store and said, "hey, you know what, Mr. Grocer, this bread is too damn expensive!", would it change anything? Probably not. As long as enough people are WILLING to pay for it at that price, it really doesn't matter what people THINK of the cost. Your opinion of the value of something really has no bearing on the market until you allow that opinion to influence your purchasing decisions. Personally, I think the Blichmann Boilermaker is not worth the ungodly prices they want for it. So, I just don't buy it. My opinion and my buying decisions are one in the same.

Now, of course, this is all distorted when it's something like, say, municipal water supply. Generally, that service is monopolized by the local government. It is a monopoly in the truest sense of the word! So it's not just a matter of making the choice to buy or not to buy. You need water, and they're the only way to get it. So you pay what the charge you. Instead of letting your opinions influence your buying decisions, in this case, you would petition your local government, complain, write letters to politicians and newspapers, protest, etc., etc. The market dynamic is much different when it comes to monopolized public services that are pretty much necessities for daily life.

The bills I can deal with. It's the child support that's killing me - and of course I still end up paying for most everything that my kids do on TOP of the the child support.

I like to tell people that I have a nanny that I pay $7.50 an hour. Yes, my ex gets more annually from me than someone earning minimum wage in Ohio. :mad: :eek:

You know you're officially a grown-up when your mortgage has a comma in it!

I try to turn it around when paying bills. I try to be happy for what I have, and that I have enough money to pay the bills and live comfortably. There's a lot of people out there right now that can't cover their monthly expenses, even the basics.

If you feel you're truly getting jacked, cancel some stuff.

In economic terms, it doesn't matter. If someone else is providing a product or a service that you want, then by the very fact that you are or aren't willing to pay for it, you have told them what you think. If I walked into a grocery store and said, "hey, you know what, Mr. Grocer, this bread is too damn expensive!", would it change anything? Probably not. As long as enough people are WILLING to pay for it at that price, it really doesn't matter what people THINK of the cost. Your opinion of the value of something really has no bearing on the market until you allow that opinion to influence your purchasing decisions. Personally, I think the Blichmann Boilermaker is not worth the ungodly prices they want for it. So, I just don't buy it. My opinion and my buying decisions are one in the same.

Now, of course, this is all distorted when it's something like, say, municipal water supply. Generally, that service is monopolized by the local government. It is a monopoly in the truest sense of the word! So it's not just a matter of making the choice to buy or not to buy. You need water, and they're the only way to get it. So you pay what the charge you. Instead of letting your opinions influence your buying decisions, in this case, you would petition your local government, complain, write letters to politicians and newspapers, protest, etc., etc. The market dynamic is much different when it comes to monopolized public services that are pretty much necessities for daily life.

I know, I get it, my remark was a joke, hence the :D

shhh html034, Evan! is on a rant, let him talk it out while he's up on the soapbox. He'll get tired soon enough.

Latest posts

Back