I think I burned my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseface

Reaction score
So, I thought my first batch went pretty well, however; cleaning up I noticed the bottom of my kettle was scorched. Have I ruined it? It was obviously the shape of the burner, but pretty small.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't understand the question.

I think you'll be fine. I was worried about the vodka in my airlock falling into the brew, and it still turned out great.

Same thing happened to me on my first brew. There were even little black bits floating around into the fermenter.

It settled clear and came out great. Not a bit of burnt flavor.

RDWHAHB

Thank You! I shall carry on. I am so worried!(Sorry) I love all the help I can get here, everyone is so helpful. Thanks again!

Augh, Yeah. Now that clears things up A LOT for me. Thanks for the link. Hope I NEVER do that!

I've had the same problem: pattern scorching. I purchased a heat diffuser and put that between the pot and the stand. It is much smaller in diameter than the pot, but it covers the areas were scorching occurred.

:mug: Welcome to the obsession! One thing to do is to take your pot off the heat when adding your malt extract, stir like hell to disolve before returning to heat. I also just put in part of the extract at the beginning of the boil, and then do a late addition with the rest of the extract in the last 15 min to sanitize. You will a few threads on this subject.:mug:

Yeah.. I burned my British IPA today. I was so damn excited. I had my kitchen ready and I was waiting for UPS to deliver the mix. I made a few mistakes along the way.

I had the black floaties too. Hopefully it won't scorch the brew.

Also, I overfilled the pot. I had a standard 1.5 gallon pot and the recipe called for two and a half gallons. I tried the best but I ended up dividing the wort between two pots.

Don't throw the pot out.

1. Make a paste of oxyclean and it will come off with a bit of elbow grease. Just make sure to wear some gloves.

2. Also just boiling some water in the pot will do wonders.

I did this once myself. Luckily I was making an imperi stout. I didn't quite stir the lme enough and a glob settled to the bottom. I blame it on my new pot not being as nice as my 6 gallon all clad professional pot.

Of course that was the last time I used the stove and I started all grain next batch.

So I didnt have any burnt residue...but what I did see at the bottom of my pan was that a couple coils left burn marks on the bottom of my pan. Im not sure if I burnt a very small amount of the malt extract, but I suspect I did. Is this common even in successful batches?...Is this acceptable, I feel as thoug I did The very best one could do in the stirring process!...Are the coil marks normal or at least some what acceptable?:fro:The black came off with a steel wool pad fairly easily.

my buddy came over to brew his 2nd extract batch. i brewed an all-grain at the same time. he used my boil kettle to brew while i mashed.

he went out to add his lme. i was about to follow him into the garage to tell him to take it off the burner, but i thought he knew. he didn't.

we had to scrub like h*ll so i could get my mash into the kettle, lol. oh well, it came off

Thats Great the pan came clean!!!...My number one concern is not the pan but the brew!how was the brew?Is it normal for a little coil burn, will I even taste it?

Latest posts

Back