WP004 Cake...recipe for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
So I am going to have a WLP004 Irish Ale yeast cake in about a week, I am seeing from the charts on the WL page that it is not so good for imperial stouts (which I wanted to make) so I am thinking about using it for a Chocolate Raspberry Milk Stout....am I being crazy...is it too much? I like Milk Stouts a lot and I think that having a mild rasperry and chocolate hint to it would make an excellent dessert beer....

Any suggestions for an AG recipe and such? I usually just find a few and combine them to make what I want.

I figure about 2-4oz unsweetened bakers chocolate at the end of the boil for maybe 10 mins, add a few pounds of frozen raspberries into the secondary, and about 3/4 to 1 lb lactose in the boil....

I just brewed this today. It's a porter, but it'll get you started:

8 lb Amber Liquid Extract
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Special B Malt
1 oz Willamette [4.20%] (40 min)
1 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)
2.5 lb Raspberries, Frozen (Secondary 14 days)
8 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 60.0 min)

I suppose you could throw some roasted barley in there and you'd have a stout. I wouldn't recommend using baker's chocolate; it gets messy and doesn't work well, from what I've heard. You could probably use 4 oz of cocoa to give a less powerful chocolate flavor. The important thing is to boil the cocoa before anything else; that will help to get it properly mixed into the water. Otherwise it'll all fall out before or after you transfer to the primary fermenter. Hope that helps!

This was a nice sweet porter without the chocolate but you could add it.

Even my non-dark-beer-drinking friends liked the richness and mouthfeel. Very creamy.

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.4 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Ok, here is what I am thinking

9lb 2-row
2lb wheat malt
1lb Carafa Malt
1lb CaraFoam or CaraPils (whatever HBS has)
1lb Crystal 80L
0.5lb Flaked Oats
0.5lb Roasted Barley
0.25lb Black Patent

mash about an hour or so at 158*F, add barley, oats, and black patent for last 15 min of mash.

1oz Perle 60 min

~0.5lb Bakers chocolate in last 15 min of boil
1lb Lactose in last 15 min

24oz frozen raspberries in secondary

comments?

Back