Brewery Tours/Visits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimms

Reaction score
I looked around, but didn't see a thread...

So who has visited which breweries?

Which would you like to see?

We went to Leinie's in October.

New Glarus is on the "want to go list". Also Dogfish Head someday.

Miller
Pabst (gone)
Sprecher (both locations)
Lakefront (both locations)
Point

RioSalado (gone)
Guinness (Storehouse... few get to go to the brewery.)

Pabst was my favorite. Beautiful stained glass and copper (sigh).
http://www.sudswineandspirits.com/images/PabstBrewhousePostcardBB.jpg

PabstBrewhousePostcardBB.jpg

I've done Schlitz, Pabst, Blatz (all back in the late 70's) Miller, Leinie's (in Milwaukee with the fire department), Sprecher, Lakefront, and various brewpubs in the area

Widmer, Golden Valley, Oregon Trader (helped clean out the boiler), Rogue, Hair of the Dog, Calapoola. Several other locals that I can't remember. It's interesting comparing a range of operations, OT is 4 barrel, Widmer has 6 750 barrel and 6 1000 barrel fermenters and expanding. In both cases, the brewhouse is a one person operation.

I have been to the Abita Brewery (makers of Abita Amber, Turbodog, etc.). It is a farily small operation but very interesting none the less.

Only one I've been to is Legend here in Richmond. A buddy of mine works as a HVAC contractor at the Miller plant in Eden, NC, but I've never been there.

Sam Adams (Boston), Harpoon (Boston), Redhook (Portsmouth, NH), Anheuser-Busch (Merrimack, NH) Wachusett Brewing Company (Wesminster, MA)

New Belgium and Coors for me...local is good. I am planning on doing some smaller ones out here too (Avery, O'Dells, Bouder Brewing Co., Left Hand, etc)

edit: went to Avery yesterday after work...left pretty :drunk: but it was really cool. All of the employees, owner, brewmaster, etc were just hanging out in the tasting room, and it seems like they do that all the time.

Not a brewery, but swmbo and I went to the Jack Daniel's Distillery a few years back. :rockin: Highly recommended to everyone who gets the chance.

loop

Magic Hat (Burlington, VT), Flying Bison (Buffalo, NY), Troegs (Harrisburg, PA), Rohrbach (Rochester, NY brewpub), Wagner Winery (Lodi, NY winery with a small brewery). Looking forward to going to Yuengling soon. So much beer, so little time...

loopmd said:
Not a brewery, but swmbo and I went to the Jack Daniel's Distillery a few years back. :rockin: Highly recommended to everyone who gets the chance.

loop

I have been to the Maker's Mark distillery. You can buy a bottle and dip it in the wax yourself, I didn't though because I was not yet 21:( .

Oh, I have also been to the Sam Adam's Boston Brewery. I forgot to mention it earlier because it wasn't very exciting.

Yuengling and Victory. I have made and broken plans about 7 times to go to Flying Fish and want to hit up Troegs and Dogfish Head this summer

Lessee, Miller, Sprecher, Leinie's, Old Style (when it was in LaCrosse and owned by Stroh's), Point, and when SWMBO and I were in Cooperstown, NY, we did Ommegang. If you're going to do the New Glarus tour, might as well hit Huber, too. It's practically right next door.

Cheesefood said:
(looks down at his shoes and sheepishly says)

Miller.
:(

That miller tour is pretty interesting though. Great look at the industrial process.

And the shipping room. I remember looking out at all those pallets and not really having it sink in until my buddy said "wait--- that thing over there--- is that ****ing TRAIN?" There was a train in the room with us and it was dwarfed by the size of the room.

Anchor in SFCA...Freaking awesome FREE tour. Fritz was there, we got to 'sample' every beer a few times, we all left with a good buzz at like 10 AM. Actually learned some stuff too as our group was about ten of us and about half were homebrewers.

Specher when I wasn't 21 and Lakefront multiple times. Lakefront is a great deal comma $5 and you get 4 beers and a pint glass comma a brewery tour too. Once I went with Pumbaa comma that guy doesn't shut up;).

Thanks for all these ideas, I've added some to my list of places to see.

Despite not liking Miller, Bud or Coors, I would like to see the operation.

I've been to several breweries for meals, but never had an official tour. I took a tour through the Aberfeldy distillery (where they make Dewar's), if that counts for anything. :)

I went to the Boags and Coopers brewerys not too long ago.

The best part about that was the free samples at the end... I went with my mum, and she doesnt drink beer... so i got double the samples :ban:

The worst part... I discovered some awesome beers that dont get shipped outside of Tasmania... that makes me sad...

Guinness Storehouse (Dublin, Eire)
Franciscan Well (Cork, Eire)
Speights (Dunedin, NZ)
Monteiths (Greymouth, NZ)
Blue Tongue (Hunter Valley, Oz)
Heineken (Amsterdam, NL)
I *think* that's it...

I've been to a lot of breweries and brewpubs. I plan every vacation around beer for the most part.

United States
Arizona - Beaver Street Brewery (Flagstaff), Flagstaff Brewing (Flagstaff), Mogollon Brewing Co. (Flagstaff)
Arkansas - Vino’s Brewpub (Little Rock), Ozark Brewing Co. (Fayetteville)
California - Bison Brewing (Berkeley), Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Boonville), Calistoga Inn (Calistoga), Sierra Nevada (Chico), Lost Coast (Eureka), North Coast (Ft. Bragg), Butterfield Brewing (Fresno), Bulldog Brewing (Fresno), Russian River Brewing Co. (Santa Rosa), Bear Republic (Healdsburg), St. Stan’s Brewing (Modesto), Peter B’s Brewpub (Monterey), Hopstreet Bistro & Brewery (Sacramento), River City Brewing (Sacramento), Hogshead Brewpub (Sacramento), Alesmith (San Diego), Stone Brewing (Escondido), Pizza Port (Solana Beach), Green Flash (Vista), San Diego Brewing Co. (San Diego), Oggi’s (Carlsbad), Rock Bottom (San Diego), Anchor Brewing (San Francisco), E&O Trading Company (San Francisco), Magnolia Pub and Brewery (San Francisco), San Francisco Brewing Co. (San Francisco), Thirsty Bear Brewing (San Francisco), 21st Amendment (San Francisco), Steelhead Brewery (San Francisco), SLO Brewing (San Louis Obispo), Front Street Pub/Santa Cruz Brewing (Santa Cruz), Seabright Brewery (Santa Cruz), Eel River (Fortuna), Six Rivers (McKinleyville), Morro Bay Brewing Co. (Morro Bay), La Jolla Brewing (La Jolla)
Colorado - Avery Brewing Co. (Boulder), Mountain Sun Pub and Brewery (Boulder), Oasis Brewery (Boulder), Redfish Brewing Co. (Boulder), Walnut Brewery (Boulder), Breckinridge Brewery & Pub (Breckinridge), Phantom Canyon Brewing (Colorado Springs), Il Vicino (Colorado Springs), Bull & Bush (Denver), Champion Brewing (Denver), Denver Chop House and Brewing (Denver), Pint’s Pub (Denver), Rock Bottom (Denver), Sandlot Brewery at Coors Field (Denver) Breckinridge Brewing (Denver), Flying Dog (Denver), Great Divide (Denver), Wynkoop (Denver), Estes Park Brewery (Estes Park), Coopersmith’s Pub and Brewing (Fort Collins), Linden’s Brewing (Fort Collins), O’Dell’s (Fort Collins) New Belgium Brewing Co. (Fort Collins), Pump house (Longmont), Left Hand/Tabernash (Longmont), Hubcap Brewery and Kitchen (Vail), Kaltenberg Castle (Vail), Dillon Dam Brewery (Dillon) Pug Ryan’s (Dillon), Oskar Blues (Lyons) Back Country Brewing (Frisco), Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub (Idaho Springs)
Idaho - Sockeye Brewing (Boise), Tablerock Brewpub and Grill (Boise), Coeur D’ Alene Brewing (Coeur D’ Alene), Grand Teton Brewing Co. (Victor)
Illinois - Goose Island (Chicago)
Iowa - Cedar Rapids Brewing Co. (Cedar Rapids)
Kansas - Free State Brewing (Lawrence), Blind Tiger (Topeka), River City Brewing (Wichita), Little Apple Brewing (Manhattan)
Kentucky - Bluegrass Brewing Co. (Louisville)
Louisiana - Abita Brewing (Abita Springs), Crescent City Brew house (New Orleans)
Michigan - Grizzly Peak Brewing Co. (Ann Arbor), Jolly Pumpkin (Dexter)
Minnesota - Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery (Minneapolis), Sherlock’s Home (Minnetonka)
Missouri - 75th Street Brewery (Kansas City), Boulevard Brewing Co. (Kansas City), Anhauser Busch (St Louis), Morgan Street Brewery (St Louis), St Louis Brewery Taproom (St Louis)
Montana - Montana Brewing Co. (Billings), Spanish Peaks (Bozeman), Iron Horse Brewpub (Missoula), Big Sky Brewing (Missoula), Harvest Moon (Belt), Sleeping Giant (Helena)
Nebraska - Upstream Brewing Co. (Omaha)
Nevada - Monte Carlo Pub & Brewery (Las Vegas), Brew Brothers (Reno), Great Basin (Sparks)
New Mexico - Il Vicino (Albuquerque), Blue Corn Café & Brewery (Santa Fe), Second Street Brewery (Santa Fe),
North Dakota - Rattlesnake Creek Brewery (Dickinson), Old Broadway Restaurant and Pub (Fargo)
Ohio - Barrelhouse Brewing (Cincinnati), Rock Bottom (Cincinnati), Diamondback Brewery (Cleveland), Great Lakes Brewing Co. (Cleveland), Cleveland Chophouse & Brewery (Cleveland), Barleys Brewpub (Columbus), Hoster Brewing (Columbus), Mansfield Brewing (Mansfield)
Oregon - Standing Stone (Ashland), Steelhead Brewery (Eugene), Wild Duck (Eugene), Terminal Gravity Brewing (Enterprise), Full Sail (Hood River) Big Horse (Hood River), Golden Valley (McMinnville), Rogue Brewing (New Port), Blitz Weinhard Brewing Co. (Portland), BJ’s Jantzen Beach (Portland), BJ’s Lloyd Center (Portland), Bridgeport (Portland), Laurelwood (Portland), Alameda Brewhouse (Portland), Lucky Labrador (Portland), Amnesia Brewing Co. (Portland), Mash Tun Brewing (Portland), Roots Brewing (Portland) New Old Lompoc Brewery (Portland), Hair of the Dog Brewing Co. (Portland), Portland Brewing/MacTarnahan’s (Portland), Widmer Brothers Brewing Co. (Portland) Rock Bottom (Portland), Tugboat Brewing (Portland), Bill’s Tavern & Brewery (Cannon Beach), Wild River (Grants Pass), Mount Angel Brewing Co. (Mount Angel), Pelican Pub & Brewery (Pacific City), Umpqua Brewing (Roseburg) McMenamin’s (Through out Oregon)
South Dakota - Firehouse Brewing Co. (Rapid City), Sioux Falls Brewing (Sioux Falls)
Tennessee - Bosco’s Brewery (Germantown), Bosco’s Nashville Brewing Co. (Nashville), Market Street Brewery (Nashville), Big River Brewing Co. (Nashville), Barley’s Brewhouse & Brewery (Nashville)
Texas - The Bitter End (Austin), Copper Tank Brewing Co. (Austin), Love joys (Austin), Blue Star Brewing Co. (San Antonio)
Utah - Eddie Mastiffs (Moab), Moab Brewing Co. (Moab), Rooster’s 25th Street Brewery (Ogden), Wasatch Brewpub (Park City), Desert Edge Brewery (Salt Lake City), Red Rock Brewery (Salt Lake City), Squatter’s Pub and Brewery Salt Lake City), Uinta Brewing Co. (Salt Lake City)
Washington - Anacortes Brew house (Anacortes) , Rock Bottom (Bellevue), Boundary Bay Brewing Co. (Bellingham), Orchard Street (Bellingham), Northfork Brewing (Deming), Flying Pig Brewing Company (Everett), Scuttlebutt Brewing Co. (Everett), Leavenworth Brewing Co. (Leavenworth), La Conner Brewing Co. (La Conner), Skagit River Brewing Co. (Mt. Vernon), Fish Brewing Co. (Olympia) Olympia Brewing Co. (Olympia), Roslyn Brewing Co. (Roslyn), Big Time Brewing (Seattle), Elysian Brewing Co. (Seattle), Pike Pub & Brewery (Seattle), Pyramid Alehouse and Brewery (Kalama/Seattle), Hales Brewery & Pub (Seattle) Maritime Pacific (Ballard), Rock Bottom (Seattle), Gordon Biersch (Seattle), Rainier Brewing Co. (Seattle), Diamond Knot (Mukilteo), Engine House #9 (Tacoma), Harmon Brewing Co. (Tacoma), Silver City Brewing Co. (Silverdale), Snipes Mountain (Sunnyside), Elliot Bay Brewing Company (West Seattle) Pacific Rim (White Center), Pacific Crest (Tukwila), Ram/Bighorn Brewing (Seattle/Kent), Red Hook (Seattle/Woodinville), Hazel Dell Brewpub (Hazel Dell), Salmon Creek Brewing Co. (Vancouver), Grant’s (Yakima), Front Street Brewery & Ale House (Friday Harbor), Twin Rivers Brewery (Monroe), Water Street Brewing Co. (Port Townsend), Winthrop Brewing Co. (Winthrop), Rogue Issaquah Brewhouse (Issaquah)
Wisconsin - New Glarus Brewing Co. (New Glarus)
Wyoming - Medicine Bow Brewing Co. (Cheyenne), Snake River Brewing Co. (Jackson Hole), Bitter Creek Brewing Co. (Rock Springs)

Canada
British Columbia - Granville Island brewing Co. (Vancouver), Steamworks (Vancouver), Canoe Brewing (Victoria), Swan’s (Victoria), Hugo’s (Victoria), Spinnaker’s (Victoria)

Belgium - Cantillon (Brussels), Straffe Hendrik Brewery (Brugge)

Germany - Zum Uerige (Dusseldorf), im Fuechschen (Dusseldorf)

England - Thomas Hardy (Dorchester)

Took the Miller tour in Milwaukee, it was pretty cool and I don't complain about the type of samples as long as they are free.:mug:

Have to add to my list New Glarus(until the new one opens for tours you can pass this up) and Capital both with olllllo. Also the Saint Somewhere brewery down in Tarpon Springs Florida.

Looks like Brewtopia wins. Wow!

Rahr and Sons in Fort Worth, Texas. Bought a glass and tried all their beers. They had a live local band and food cooked on site. The brewery is a smallish open floor warehouse. I was amazed that they brew and bottle so much beer in that place.

Also, JAX in New Orleans, Louisiana, but it had long been converted into a shopping mall by that time.

Troegs and Appalachian Brewing Company both in Harrisburg, pa. Troegs is a good tour and with the better expanded tasting room you can relax more and buy a 6pack sesides a growler and case now.

Nugget Nectar is out, btw.

Star Brewery - Dubuque, IA It has been closed for 15 or so years. If you have ever seen the movie "Take This Job and Shove it" it was filmed there.

Next time you are in GA, you will have to take a tour of the Deep Six Brewing Co... that'll last you all of 5 mins. heh

I for one will have to take you up on the offer. I'll be in Valadosta in early March to visit my son (Moody AFB).:mug:

I've done Coors (Boulder), A-B (Williamsburg), FlyingDog (Frederick MD) and the Lancaster Brew Club meets in the Lancaster Brewery basement between the grain storage and fermentation tanks :rockin:

Latest posts

Back