Soldering copper w/o a propane torch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I'm trying to limit myself on buying items I will only use 2-3 times max so I have a simple question.

Could I just heat up the copper on my banjou and let solder just suck in on its own after removing from heat? Or is the pin point heat spot used to draw in the solder?

Any chance a 30watt iron would do any good on this?

It would be possible to solder using the burner, just going to be challenging as you have to move piece into/out of flame to control heat and protect your self from the heat transfer. It would seem to be worth the effort to buy an inexpensive torch so you could do solder joints in position.

because copper is such a good conductor of heat, the 30w iron would be useless. Possibly a 150-200w iron, but at that point a cheap torch is less $$.
If you ever buy a house more than 30-40 yrs old, the torch will come in handy to replace all the failed shutoff valves on your water pipes. I have been in my house less than three years, and have already replaced 6 bad shutoff valves with the 1/4 turn style.

I'm trying to limit myself on buying items I will only use 2-3 times max so I have a simple question.

Could I just heat up the copper on my banjou and let solder just suck in on its own after removing from heat? Or is the pin point heat spot used to draw in the solder?

Any chance a 30watt iron would do any good on this?

There is a very good chance that if you try to use your banjou burner to solder with you will burn yourself. Have you ever heard of the old expression, "the right tool for the right job"? In this case the phrase is more appropriate because you will be risking personal injury to save $20. Your question sounds extremely foolish to me.

In this case the phrase is more appropriate because you will be risking personal injury to save $20.

I have to agree. I just finished soldering some copper tubing to make a whirlpool attachment to my IC to use with my March pump. I simply borrowed a torch from a friend (he also loves to drink my homebrew) and it was a piece of cake. I wouldn't risk jury rigging something when you can proabably borrow one from a friend/relative or buy one for $20.

Agree with pretty much what everyone else said. You don't however say what it is you are trying to solder. Also you can buy copper fittings with solder in place and those might actually work with your creatively dangerous method.

I have to disagree. I haven't done it myself, but heating the part in the banjo and then letting it wick into the hot joint should work well. I can't see how you'd get any more heat transfer than a torch. He wouldn't be putting the whole part into the flame, just the area to be soldered. The extra heat would only make the job go quicker. I say go for it.

We have a forum full of people who transport near boiling pots full of sparge water to dump into a cooler but I'm foolish for wanting to use a propane burner to heat and solder copper. I have gloves that kept me safe in the flash over room, I'm pretty sure they won't be harmed by holding a warm copper pipe.

Jd,
Being able to solder copper plumbing is a good skill to have. I guarantee that you will use that torch a whole lot more than 2 to 3 times in your life time. Really is a good thing to have handy.

All that aside, you can get copper too hot to solder fairly easily of you've got enough BTUs kickin. A small propane torch will help you control the heat much better. Right tool for the job and all.

Wouldn't hurt to try than banjo I suppose.

We have a forum full of people who transport near boiling pots full of sparge water to dump into a cooler but I'm foolish for wanting to use a propane burner to heat and solder copper. I have gloves that kept me safe in the flash over room, I'm pretty sure they won't be harmed by holding a warm copper pipe.

I hope it works out for you but if you hurt yourself don't say we didn't warn you. Oh, and carrying around near boiling water is foolish also. I can't stop anyone from doing anything, all I can do is hope nobody hurts themselves.

Must of missed where he said it was for a pick up tube. If you wanted to be slick. You could use the banjo to anneal the copper pipe, quinch it, fill the pipe with water and freeze it. Bend it to shape, no soldering required. Not saying it's practical :D

The foolish guy wouldn't have asked first...

That is what I was thinking. I use a torch often enough to justify owning some. If I only saw a need to solder a couple joints like Jdecarol, I'd be getting creative, too. I'm hoping he safely and successfully tries the burner route.

A propane torch is what $6-$7? You'll still need the solder and flux either way, so you want to do all of this just to save that?

Much to swmbo's dismay, I've soldered over the kitchen stove many times. That said a propane torch makes the process 99% easier...

don't forget cream brule that stuff is delicious!

625 days from last post.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

you could wrap some 12 gauge wire around the fitting hub (3 or 4 wraps) and dead short both ends to a car battery. before the wire breaks, it will get red hot- you might even be able to braze. try the banjo- the worst that will happen is you will burn up all the flux and make it dirty and it will leak. as long as lives aren't at stake i say "go for it" and if there are lives at stake, i say "get insurance"

Latest posts

Back