nice smell from Wyeast 1028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Been using Wyeast 1056 a ton lately but bought some more yeast a while back from the UK. Popped Wyeast 1028, made a 2L starter and brewed up a Dry Stout. And man does it smell good now while fermenting. But it's totally different. It's not just the yeast. The beer itself has a great toasty, roasty, bready smell. But the yeast has a nice minerally note to it. Doesn't have the usual fruitiness coming out during the ferment. Dig it.

I've used 1028 before, but it's been about 9 years, so I don't really remember. I'll be using it for this, then rinsing the yeast and repitching for an Imperial Stout. Glad that the yeast arrived from the UK in good condition, started up well and is fermenting nicely. Means ordering from overseas is okay, at least during cold weather. Next up in two weeks, White Labs Burton Ale yeast.

Also found liquid extract locally, which makes life easier. Hate paying customs and heavy shipping for DME for starters. And found flaked barley for this Dry Stout at a local health food store. Also saw flaked spelt and some other adjuncts.

So, brew life in Croatia is going good. The Dry Stout was the 10th batch here, 100th batch overall.

Hi Matt, Let us know what you think of the flavor profile compared to the yeast to you have used in the past for this beer.

Thanks Pat

I have a N. English Brown fermented with 1028 and I love the yeast too. It definitely is subdued in terms of esters, just a very slight fruitiness. It has a nice dry tartness to it and still lets the malt shine through, perfect for a N. English Brown IMO. Good stuff.

I have a N. English Brown fermented with 1028 and I love the yeast too. It definitely is subdued in terms of esters, just a very slight fruitiness. It has a nice dry tartness to it and still lets the malt shine through, perfect for a N. English Brown IMO. Good stuff.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the 1028 is a good smelling yeast. I've used it three times now for a nut brown ale. It's my favorite brew. When I used an Irish Ale yeast, it came out a little drier. To me anyway. Supposedly the 1028 is used in Worthington's Whiteshield IPA.

Back