Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
I have a Munich Dunkel that I just put into primary. The yeast was wlp838 Southern German Lager. The temp range is 50-55F. Fermentation is exothermic so what temp do I set my fermenter? Do I shoot a little cooler to make up for the heat generated in fermentation of do I just set it to 53F and not sweat it?

Thanks,

Nick

Are you using a fridge/freezer with a temp controller? If you are, you can attach the temp probe directly to the fermenter. If it's in good contact, it's going to read the temp of your beer more than the ambient temp inside the fridge. That way you can set it for about 52, and it will keep the fridge at whatever temp it needs to be to keep your beer at that temp (give or take a degree or two). Then as the yeast slow down and generate less heat, the fridge temp will automatically adjust to keep the beer at that temp.

I Do I shoot a little cooler to make up for the heat generated in fermentation of do I just set it to 53F and not sweat it?

Sure, if you don't have a way to measure the temperature of the wort, you can assume a fermentation differential of ~10F and adjust the ambient fridge temperature to 43F. An example is discussed here.

That said, I prefer and use the method Cat mentioned - direct temperature measurement of the wort.

I do have a modified freezer but I will have to rerun the temp probe. Once I do how do I attach it to the bucket? Here in GA we would normally use duct tape but I'm sure there is a more refined way to do it.

Painters tape works well and doesn't leave the gooey mess that duct tape does. If you cover it with some kind of foam it works better. So the probe is against the fermenter and the foam covers it. Then it's picking up less of the air temp and more of the fermenter temp. A chunk of insulation type foam works, or even packing foam or bubble wrap in a pinch.

Back