Need help / advice on building a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_g

Reaction score
I got a 5 gal Rubbermaid cooler. I've been browsing the hardware stores to decide what kinds of pipes / fittings to use. Questions?

1) Is there any problems with drilling a bigger hole in the tap for the cooler? Has anyone run into problems. Cracking, etc.

2) Pipes for the straining mechanism. Copper, galvanized, PVC, CPVC, brass. Does it matter? I was thinking of CPVC and cutting slits in it. Anything I shouldn't use?

3) What style is the easiest and cheapest to build: false bottom, stainless steel supply line, or pipe with slits cut into it?

4) Any other suggestion?

I just use a mesh bag in a 60 quart cooler like BiaB but with two vessels instead on 1. There is no vorlaufing, I can still do stepped/or decoction mashes, and you never get a stuck sparge.

Took about $5 worth of material from the fabric store.

I just use a mesh bag in a 60 quart cooler like BiaB but with two vessels instead on 1. There is no vorlaufing, I can still do stepped/or decoction mashes, and you never get a stuck sparge.

Took about $5 worth of material from the fabric store.

I tried that with my first all grain batch. I was thinking it'd be nice to have a more properly constructed mash tun for next time.

Back