pumpkin prep for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
im getting geared up to do a pumpkin ale for holiday consumption, as i know alot of people are. so ive been doing alot of research on it, specifically with the use of pumpkin. seems like the most important thing ive found is the pre-baking of the pumpkin whether you are using the canned stuff or real cubed pumpkin. only a few of the recipies here mention that tho, as well as that recipie from the microbrewery found on that audioholics link someone posted, and was also recommended to me by the hbs place i use (american brewmaster). it seems like what ive learned is that using raw pumpkin can lead to a 'vegatabley' flavor, espeically if just added to the fermenter, and the presence of the starches in the uncooked pumpkin can be the cause of a cloudy beer. the baking will convert the starches to sugar which will lend itself to a much better quality ingredient for flavoring and brewing. if anyone is making it for the first time, that audioholics link is a must read! :)

Back