I'm part of the problem... The leashed dog problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
WTF?

So today I went for a walk on the beach with my wife (her birthday). We had two of our dogs with us. The beach was populated - so we had our dogs on leash. If the beach is empty - we'll often let them run off leash, but they come when called. Immediately.

So on to the story... Guy has a labrador - running FAR in front of him. Off leash. Dog is running up to everyone - K9 or human, ends up facing off with another off leash dog. Nothing came of it, but could have. So I asked if he had a leash "nope - don't have one on me". Said something about there being a leash law and him obviously having no control over his dog (dog refused to come when call - obviously a game).

Dip...poop... gives me this "we don't use leashes 'round here" and "ya'll with leashed dogs are the real problem"

I have no problem with dogs off leash - in the proper setting, and with a well trained dog - dogs enjoy time off leash. But in a densley populated area, with a poorly trained dog - just an accident/ bite/ dog fight waiting to happen. Of course - had a bite happened, the off leash lab would have all of a sudden been a pit bull.

Damn irresponsible dog owners!

Just had to rant...

Yup... I"m the problem! The RESPONSIBLE DAMN DOG OWNER PROBLEM.

Dip...poop... gives me this "we don't use leashes 'round here" and "ya'll with leashed dogs are the real problem"

The mind boggles at his logic. I don't even understand what this means. So his dog is free to attack anyone or anything and won't obey it's lazyass owner, and YOU'RE part of the problem?

I empathize with you. I spent a LOT of time training my dog when I got her. It really annoys me when people don't train their dogs.

Obviously the guy is too much of a moron to realize if something happened, in our litigious society, he could get sued in a blink.

Everyone want all the dogs tied up...

And then wonders why their trash is always attacked by skunks/coons/etc and wonders why deer are brave enough to wander the suburbs...

I mean, when Massachusetts suddenly has a coyote problem, come on. Cave men has this figured out 1000's of years ago.

Everyone want all the dogs tied up...

And then wonders why their trash is always attacked by skunks/coons/etc and wonders why deer are brave enough to wander the suburbs...

I mean, when Massachusetts suddenly has a coyote problem, come on. Cave men has this figured out 1000's of years ago.

LEASHED - or well trained.

If you live in the middle of BFE and have 100 acres and a dog that respects the boundries (physical or previously laid out by the master) - fine. But lets face of it, most of us don't.

I have the opinion that a suburban dog's place is inside the home - obviously, once again, if you're in the middle of nowhere and the dog has a job to do this doesn't apply.

I don't believe in tying up dogs outside, there are these cool things called fences... and um... inside...

But of course... it's much better to let your dog roam... neighbors love having dog crap on their yard, dogs never get in fights, never chase or kill cats (that's another issue...) , and dogs certainly never get into trash...

Duuuuuuuude... I've got it. I'm the problem because I'm a suburban ******* that actually passed gradeschool!

I grew up in the suburbs... Every boy wandered around town with his dog, and many other dog wandered around town without their boys...

The average 10yo could do a respectable job of breaking up a dogfight.

Somehow we all survived. I don't recall the world being covered in dog doo.

I grew up in the suburbs... Every boy wandered around town with his dog, and many other dog wandered around town without their boys...

The average 10yo could do a respectable job of breaking up a dogfight.

Somehow we all survived. I don't recall the world being covered in dog doo.

Wat???????

What can be said? People are stupid. You know, and we all know that you were in the right, and that guy should probably have his head examined, but what are you going to do? Not even worth worrying about.

This story reminds me what it is like walking my dog down my own street. She has been through Basic obedience and Intermediate and is a great dog. But the owners on my street let their dogs just run free so I have had to kick a lot of dogs because they all want to fight with my dog while she is on leash. And it does not help to call Animal control or anything. So now I just take a walk out my backyard and walk down other streets now. It is sad that I really can't walk down my own street.

Ha! I'd kinda forgotten about this one! Thanks for digging it up 15 months later...

Personally I hate dogs that bark incessantly even more. My dogs are well trained, in a fenced yard, and on a leash when walking around the neighborhood. I tend to shoot other dogs that are unleashed and on my property. It's perfectly legal here. Plus, I figure it teaches idiot dog owners a lesson. Takes 1 or 2, and then everyone in the neighborhood gets it. No more dogs running free.

This story reminds me what it is like walking my dog down my own street. She has been through Basic obedience and Intermediate and is a great dog. But the owners on my street let their dogs just run free so I have had to kick a lot of dogs because they all want to fight with my dog while she is on leash. And it does not help to call Animal control or anything. So now I just take a walk out my backyard and walk down other streets now. It is sad that I really can't walk down my own street.

I would have to invoke the pellet gun rule. Sorry dog. You were attacking us.

Personally I hate dogs that bark incessantly even more. My dogs are well trained, in a fenced yard, and on a leash when walking around the neighborhood. I tend to shoot other dogs that are unleashed and on my property. It's perfectly legal here. Plus, I figure it teaches idiot dog owners a lesson. Takes 1 or 2, and then everyone in the neighborhood gets it. No more dogs running free.

You seriously shoot dogs just for coming into your yard. What a freaking redneck! Do you ever think that maybe that dog got scared out of his fenced in yard because he heard fireworks, or guns and got spooked? If the dog is killing your livestock or something like that I can understand but just shooting them for being in the yard is absolutely ridiculous.

My kid was knocked down and nipped when she was very little by a very big dog while playing in our yard. Now a decade older and tall she still is very irrationally nervous around dogs. So who does every unrestrained dog run to?

She doesn't always shriek but she always has a moment of fear-- to which every single friggin dog owner says "oh don't worry he/she's friendly." No getting up in my space or the space of a dog phobic kid is not not not not friendly

So of course she had to pick soccer as her loved sport where yes they play with balls on a open field. So every dog owner thinks they must bring their dog to a game the dogs are not welcome to play at. Really the poop and the dogs chasing the ball down really is not a part of the sport. So who does the dog that is not leashed run to on the soccer field? Yep the kid that shrieks.

Don't hate the dogs just hate the humans who can't discipline or care for thier pets and yeah discipline and caring are the same thing for dogs!

You seriously shoot dogs just for coming into your yard. What a freaking redneck! Do you ever think that maybe that dog got scared out of his fenced in yard because he heard fireworks, or guns and got spooked? If the dog is killing your livestock or something like that I can understand but just shooting them for being in the yard is absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder if I should shoot the owner instead.

I was being sarcastic.

I wouldn't shoot a dog unless it was already dying and needed to be put out of its misery. I have no problem confronting an owner that has its dog loose all the time though...

Latest posts

Back