How long does it generally take for a beer to carbonate in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I understand that carbonation is not the only purpose of bottle conditioning, but how long does it take for a normal beer to fully carbonate in a bottle? By asking this, I am not referring to how long before it's drinkable (aka no longer green etc.), but just until the yeast are fully done carbonating. Is it comparable to how quickly the beer originally fermented in the primary?

How do different yeasts (dry, liquid, etc.) affect this?

Thanks!

Like we say repeatedly on here, the average minimum time for an average gravity 12 ounce beer when stored at or above 70 degrees, is 3 weeks . Gravity and temp are the two biggest factors. Some beers take months to carb up. Stouts and porters have take me 6-8 weeks. Some beers like pale ales or hefs or session beers may (emphasis on MAY, not WILL) take less that 3 weeks...more like two. But for all intents and purposes we suggest folks don't bother to touch them before 3 weeks, and don't be concerned that there's a problem until it's been 8 weeks.

In terms of carbonation, yeast is yeast.....the form it was pitched into the wort has no relevance.

What does seem to affect it is type of sugar added. People who use carb tabs or prime with DME have noted that at takes longer than the above for the yeast to break down the sugar and ferment it into carbonation.

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the general consensus to let the bottles sit at least three weeks. However, I was not sure about the carbonation times. If a beer fully fermented in the primary in less than a week, I just wondered why it would take 3+ weeks in a bottle with the same yeast and fresh priming sugar?

It was my impression that the 3 weeks number was to ensure the beer had time to mellow out, settle, and improve its flavor in addition to carbonating. What I was wondering about was if carbonation completes earlier and the rest of the time is to improve flavor etc?

I've only bottled a couple times so I'm just thinking out loud, but wouldn't the time that the beer has spent in the fermenter be a factor?

If beer were left for an extra couple weeks to clarify or cold crashed to clarify, wouldn't that effect the time to carbonate since the viable yeast cells remaining in the beer would be less?

It takes longer to carbonate in the bottles because there is a lower concentration of yeast and most of the vital yeast nutrition, and oxygen, that is requires by the preferred metabolic paths in cell division have been depleted. 2 day cold crash then bottle, then 2 weeks at room temperature followed by 1 week in the fridge works for me. But most of what I brew is under 5% abv.

It takes longer to carbonate in the bottles because there is a lower concentration of yeast and most of the vital yeast nutrition, and oxygen, that is requires by the preferred metabolic paths in cell division have been depleted. 2 day cold crash then bottle, then 2 weeks at room temperature followed by 1 week in the fridge works for me. But most of what I brew is under 5% abv.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I've often wondered about cold crashing with bottling. Since bottle conditioning obviously requires the leftover yeast to carbonate, is there any chance that cold crashing could make the yeast cell counts too low to adequately carb the bottles?

What is the best temperature and time length to cold crash the fermenter?

C... is there any chance that cold crashing could make the yeast cell counts too low to adequately carb the bottles?

No, there's still BILLIONS of cells left after cold crashing. Plenty to carb up the beer.

The thing to realize is there's way too many variables at play to give you any kind of definitive answer about how long a beer takes to carb, or really ANYTHING for that matter.

All we can give is a guestimate, based on the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of posts on here by folks who's beers weren't carbed under three weeks, but were carbed after.

You just have to realize that carbonation is a foolproof process. You add sugar and the beer will carb. But it will takes EXACTLY as long as it needs to do so, and not a moment before.

There's no way to know when that will be.....So it's best just to wait the observed minimum...if it's carbed, fine, if not, check back in another week or two....and repeat the process as needed.

Revvy, thanks for the explanation and help. I appreciate it. I'll probably do a few tests at week 1, 2, and 3 to see how the process it going.

Let's say you're 2 weeks into bottling, you decide you can't wait, and you pop one open and try it. Not carbed. Is that bottle screwed or could you, in theory, put a new cap on it and expect it to continue carbing and be none the wiser to your impatient intrusion?

not sure about anybody else, but if i open a beer i drink it, and learn something from it, some times make notes about what i did, what i tasted, smelled, or saw.

i don't know that i've ever considered recapping a beer

Revvy, thanks for the explanation and help. I appreciate it. I'll probably do a few tests at week 1, 2, and 3 to see how the process it going.

Why? To me that's a waste of beer. We know how long roughly it takes, so why waste time on test beers and just know that in AT LEAST 3 weeks I'll have beer that I have a good idea will be carbed? To me "testing" beers means all those beers before I "wasted" trying to find out, would have been more perfectly carbed beers when they were ready.

Let's say you're 2 weeks into bottling, you decide you can't wait, and you pop one open and try it. Not carbed. Is that bottle screwed or could you, in theory, put a new cap on it and expect it to continue carbing and be none the wiser to your impatient intrusion?

No, because you won't know if it's carbed until you've poured it in a glass, have observed the bubbles and have tasted it.

You're out that beer.

I know the tendency for new brewers to want their beer done. And to look for every loophole hoping it would mean their beer MIGHT be carbed.

But here's your carbing process in a nutshell..This is what's happening to your beers.

So why waste, why not just wait?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? To me that's a waste of beer. We know how long roughly it takes, so why waste time on test beers and just know that in AT LEAST 3 weeks I'll have beer that I have a good idea will be carbed? To me "testing" beers means all those beers before I "wasted" trying to find out, would have been more perfectly carbed beers when they were ready.

It probably is a waste of beer, but part of the fun of homebrewing for me has been learning the intricacies and processes behind the brew. Since I did my first batch a couple of weeks ago and now have it bottled, I would like to attempt to learn, by tasting, how the beer progresses. Sure, as I get more experienced down the line I probably won't open them early but, since I'm just starting out, I figure it can't hurt to learn and get an idea of the stages and processes for future reference.

As usual, you guys are right.

*Places right hand on "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing"*

I do solemnly swear to not even attempt to try a bottle until 19 days.

How about a big beer like a Belgian Tripel? It's at 10%, I didn't add anymore yeast at bottling time as many suggested not to. I'm guessing it will take around 2-3 months before it's carbed, correct? Without adding extra yeast, it should still carb just fine right?

I drink my beers whenever I want one. Yes they do get better with age. But If I want to drink it I will, they still taste just fine. But still better around 2 to 3 weeks.

My IpA's I made were by far the best tasting of all the young beers Iv had. At 3 days in bottles. Now 2 weeks taste better.

Still never a waste if you drink them and enjoy them. :)

I drink my beers whenever I want one. Yes they do get better with age. But If I want to drink it I will, they still taste just fine. But still better around 2 to 3 weeks.

My IpA's I made were by far the best tasting of all the young beers Iv had. At 3 days in bottles. Now 2 weeks taste better.

what he said

Well said! A beer is never a waste unless you make it one! :)

true...the safe opinion is 3 weeks. Stating anything less will get people all revved up. BUT if you want to test earlier go right ahead it is your call. Honestly, you don't have much to lose: too early the beer will have very little carbonation, and might taste a touch sweet... but is certainly safe to drink. On the other hand: it might be just fine! either way you learn something.

Just don't worry either way, time is your friend

It probably is a waste of beer, but part of the fun of homebrewing for me has been learning the intricacies and processes behind the brew. Since I did my first batch a couple of weeks ago and now have it bottled, I would like to attempt to learn, by tasting, how the beer progresses. Sure, as I get more experienced down the line I probably won't open them early but, since I'm just starting out, I figure it can't hurt to learn and get an idea of the stages and processes for future reference.

We all have different approaches and opinions on the matter. To me "Understanding how carbonation develops" is really un important, it's gonna be flat, it's gonna be slightly carbed, or it's going to be carbed. There's nothing to learn about. Who really cares about the other stages, it's only when it's finished does it matter.

It's sort of the same with green beer. What's the point of wanting to know how it develops or changes. How's it going to help us make better beer? It's AFTER the beer has passed the window of greeness where we find out if our recipe/brewing/fermentation process is sound or not. Green beer is an evolution, in the process to maturation. It doesn't tell us anything. Only after a beer is drinkable do we find out if we did a good job. And THOSE off flavors are what we learn from. Not what the beer taste like on the journey.

I just never had gleaned anything substantive from that. Despite the rationalization that many new brewer say is for 'educational purposes' I find there's very little to be gleaned tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end. I don't buy budweiser because I don't like to taste "bad" beer. So why would I drink my own beer when it was "bad" especially since I know it's going to be delicious a few weeks later.

It's a great rationalization, and I hear it every time I make my assertion. But the thing to remember is that since every beer is different that 5 day old Ipa you may have decided to crack open is not going to taste anything like that 5 day old brown ale you opened early in your next batch. They're two different animals. There are so many tiny variations in things like ambient temp at fermentation and carbonation, pitch count phases of the moon, that even if you brewed your same batch again and cracked a bottle at the exact same early time on the previous batch, the beer, if you could remember how it tasted, more than likely wouldn't taste the same at that phase....Heck even in the same batch if you had grabbed a different bottle it may seem carbed or tasting differently at that point.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on. They are all going to come to tempo when their time is right...not a minute before, and then at some point they all will be done.

So you're not, to me learning anything special from it. But It's your beer, but there's not gonna be anything right or wrong at that point, except that you're out a beer that 2-3 weeks later you're gonna post something like"Sigh, they always say that last beer of the batch is the best, now if only I hadn't "sampled for educational purposes" all those weeks back I could be having another on of these delicious beers."

But it's your beer. :mug:

As usual, you guys are right.

*Places right hand on "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing"*

I do solemnly swear to not even attempt to try a bottle until 19 days.

You can do what you want. It's your beer. But just don't look for "loopholes" or rationaization like "educational purpose," and just acknowledge you're simply impatient to try your beer.....and KNOW that it more than likely won't be ready yet.

And if it isn't ready yet don't start a "My beer's not carbed yet, is something wrong?" thread. Or "I know what everyone said, and I didn't listen and it isn't carbed ARE YOU SURE something's not wrong?"

We don't tell folks to wait to jerk new brewer's chains. We ALL want out beers to be done FAST. But the sad truth is, it is an organic process, and it takes a certain amount of time.........Usually much longer than we want it to be.

You can do what you want. It's your beer. But just don't look for "loopholes" or rationaization like "educational purpose," and just acknowledge you're simply impatient to try your beer.....and KNOW that it more than likely won't be ready yet.

And if it isn't ready yet don't start a "My beer's not carbed yet, is something wrong?" thread. Or "I know what everyone said, and I didn't listen and it isn't carbed ARE YOU SURE something's not wrong?"

We don't tell folks to wait to jerk new brewer's chains. We ALL want out beers to be done FAST. But the sad truth is, it is an organic process, and it takes a certain amount of time.........Usually much longer than we want it to be.

I was being completely serious. I have yet to bottle my first brew, and your posts here actually did convince me. Was trying to bring a bit of lightheartedness to a thread turning serious.

bfinleyui said:
I was being completely serious. I have yet to bottle my first brew, and your posts here actually did convince me. Was trying to bring a bit of lightheartedness to a thread turning serious.

Haha, I thought it was funny if that's any consolation! :)

Revvy provides great advice and input in these forums, and his opinion is usually quite safe....perhaps slightly biased from reading and helping so many in these forums. Waiting at least 3 weeks for bottle conditioning is never wrong,

I started brewing after reading Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione, and referencing Palmer occasionally. Both regularly state 2 weeks as the time frame for carbonation and bottle conditioning.
" Age the capped bottles at room temperature for two weeks, out of the light. Aging up to two months can improve the flavor considerably, but one week will often do the job of carbonation for the impatient, it depends on the type and viability of the yeast."

As a result, I usually check my first bottle around 2 weeks. What have I learned?

At 2 weeks most of my beers have been fully carbonated....the exception was a high gravity pumpkin ale that was stored a bit cool.

At 2 weeks most of my lighter gravity, and lighter flavor beers are mature and ready to drink... the bigger or heavier beers certainly improve with additional time.

If your 'fridge is empty, or you are just out of patience...try it early. If your pipeline is full...why not be safe and wait 3 or 4 weeks.

Listen to Revvy. There are dozens of threads posted here about low/missing carbonation every single week. In 99.9% of those threads, the brewer has tried a bottle after a few days, one week, two weeks.

With the exception of the brewers who forgot to add priming sugar, or who had some monster 10% barleywine that has been sitting in secondary for eight months and just has no viable yeast left, the beer carbs up when left for long enough.

There's no secret trick or magic to carbonation. Add priming sugar, distribute it evenly, bottle, and wait.

pwkblue has most of his beers carbed at two weeks. Great! I've seen plenty of people who do.

I've seen way more complain about low carb at two weeks.

If you want to be happy with your beer, don't try to rush it.

thehopbandit said:
I understand that carbonation is not the only purpose of bottle conditioning, but how long does it take for a normal beer to fully carbonate in a bottle? By asking this, I am not referring to how long before it's drinkable (aka no longer green etc.), but just until the yeast are fully done carbonating. Is it comparable to how quickly the beer originally fermented in the primary?

Thanks!

If it's a vigorous low flocculation yeast, then it might only take a few days. If it's something that's been racked to secondary, cold crashed, used gelatin to clear, then it might take a long time to carb.

I had some hefe yeast I made a beer with. Didn't crash it, didn't age it. Grain to bottle in about 10 days. It was carbed in four days.

Made a cider. Sat for three months in a carboy. Cold crashed for a week. Racked to secondary. Gelatin and more cold crash for a week then bottled. It has been about two weeks and its still flat.

I crack a beer from time to time at various stages. It isn't a waste in any way to do this. I still drink it. I think you can learn a lot about the process this way. If I make 50 beers, its not like two or three is going to kill me to drink "early."

Sometimes you find that a beer is better less carbonated than suggested. Or that some beers don't need to age as long as conventional wisdom would suggest.

But you'd only know this by trying.

I recently started drinking my beers after 3 days, then one week and then after three weeks and up. The IPAs I brewed had enough carbonation to drink after about three days? They seemed to change in characteristics after about a week. Same with my Black IPAs and a Blue Moon clone. I'm really new to brewing and haven't brewed any stouts but if you're impatient like me, I'd say give it a try within the week. Might be good to go (or good enough to drink)?

I've had beer carbonated within a week. My personal guess for the "three week" time which seems to be written in stone is that the beer tastes better, has had plenty of time to carbonate, and..... well that's about it. And what's wrong with flat beer? Go to England & have a "real ale", it's not quite flat, but by US standards, it is. I prefer "flat" hard cider.

- I don't get the "green" beer?? It tastes like beer @ a week or 3 weeks in the bottle. It does taste better after a month though. But then I'm not all that picky.

Even if it is completely obvious to veterans of a hobby that doing XYZ is all but guaranteed to lead to such-and-such outcome, I believe there can be value in a newbie seeing it for himself. Especially if the cost of that lesson is 1-2 measly bottles of beer out of the 40 sitting in the box.

I think the "forum culture" is the same for most all hobbies in the modern age: certain tenets get parroted over and over again by thousands of people in online communities, many of whom do so strictly on the basis of what they've heard or read, not because they've seen any evidence for themselves.

I usually kill 12 out of any given batch before I'm happy. Those 12 are all still beer, and better than anything I can afford 2 cases of.

Completely agree with above post. I brew fairly low gravity (1.045ish) bitters all the time and often it's the absolute best after 10 days primary and 10 days in the bottle. But as mattdee1 says, let your experience guide you. Don't be afraid to try a bottle at around a week! Totally depends on yeast, OG, FG, complexity of the beer, etc. etc. etc.....

Man, it's like the karma gods slapped me down for thinking it only takes 3 days to carb up a beer. I brewed my first 10 gal batch, another blue moon clone and it has zero carb after a week!? It's very sour and there's a film of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that clumps when you swirl it. Don't really know if I should wait or try to fix it or???

I fill one plastic P.E.T. soda pop bottle with primed beer and screw on the top. When the bottle gets hard you know the beer is carbonated.

I fill one plastic P.E.T. soda pop bottle with primed beer and screw on the top. When the bottle gets hard you know the beer is carbonated.

Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely try this next time...but for now, I just sit and pray my beer carbonates...

Same here - I use one 0,5L plastic water bottle. And you save some beer:)

I have made my 2nd batch and have to admit - plastic bottle was almost like a rock after 6 days, like beers in the shop. I worried about exploding bottles...So I chilled glass bottless for a week @ 7C (45F), opened and definitely under carbonated. But it was still pretty good and only a few bottles now remained :) Put the remained bottles back to the warm place, shaked and lets see how long it takes to carbonate these up.

I read somewhere else here, that somebody had the same experience.....not sure, what is the phenomenon...?

Back