Question about hop flowers ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having never grown hops before I am uncertain if these are flowers, these were planted June 5th and if these are flowers can hops actually flower in 40 days?

IMG_20120717_194236[1].jpg

Yes, that's a sidearm/lateral growing off the main vine and the little 'fuzzy' things are called burrs. They'll eventually turn into hops in a few weeks to a few more weeks depending on variety. During the baby year there's a lot of variability as to how vigorous they'll be. Some just grow a little and others end up producing a decent first year crop. Looks like they like your growing conditions. Congrats!

Thank you B_Hoppy. I am not sure if it the conditions, placement or the peat but they are over 14feet tall and still growing... I think it was the plants actually they had roots and big around as my thumb when I transplanted them from the pots to the ground. These are the centennials (they smell so wonderful) I have a cascade that is even larger with more "burrs" like that. The Northern Brewer is now 12 feet and the Columbus is 12 feet and they are starting to have the side off shoots... they grow fast. Did not think I would get 1st year hops from them... very excited...

If what you planted were 'starts', that makes a lot of sense as they tend to grow at a more predictable rate than rhizomes. You'll find that over time, certain varieties will do better than others. My Centennials have averaged no more than about 8 ounces over the last 12 or so years where the Cascade and Chinook put out a couple pounds per plant. Give them 3-4 years before you decide to replace with a different variety and don't jump the gun at harvest. It's usually better to wait a week longer after you think they're ripe before picking. It's tough but usually worth it!

If what you planted were 'starts', that makes a lot of sense as they tend to grow at a more predictable rate than rhizomes. You'll find that over time, certain varieties will do better than others. My Centennials have averaged no more than about 8 ounces over the last 12 or so years where the Cascade and Chinook put out a couple pounds per plant. Give them 3-4 years before you decide to replace with a different variety and don't jump the gun at harvest. It's usually better to wait a week longer after you think they're ripe before picking. It's tough but usually worth it!

Kewl thanks for the advice, yes they were plants in 1 gallon pots from Great Lake Hops, and took off as soon as they were in the ground. Well if get 8 ounces from any of them I will be happy... I will heed your advice and wait to harvest ... Thanks

Saturday I noticed the centennial hops at the top of the plant looked a little brown. So I got a ladder out and climb to the top. The looked like they need to be harvested, paper feeling and such so I cut of a little bunch and took them inside they looked ready?

IMG_20120825_133104.jpg

IMG_20120825_133132.jpg

So while back on the ladder I lost my balance and grabbed the wire they were hung on. Fortunately I regained my balance, unfortunately the wire broke and there was way to much weight on it to get it back up, so I just harvested all of the hops. Now they are drying.... guess they will be okay.. here are some cascades:

IMG_20120825_120138.jpg

IMG_20120825_120250.jpg

Nice harvest, but if you hadn't accidentally pulled down the bine...you would have let those go another week or so...right? All of mine look at least that ripe, but I don't think they are ready. Sorry about the ladder fall....I did the same thing this weekend while blasting a hornets nest in a vent...my ladder folded like a lawn chair when I got to the top...it sucked!

Well the Centennials were actully ready and the columbus as as well but the cascade could have gone another week maybe. The northern brewer could have gone anoth week..... but there very few nothern brewer and columbus. I think they are going to be good as the centennial smells great but this my first year gowing hops so i am going on books and this site for how to do this.

Becareful on thosee ladders dude....falling really hurts----

Back