Lost efficiency from boil to fermeter? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster72

Reaction score
Okay, I made the AHS Cali Common recipe tonight. I added 1 lb of 2-row to the recipe due to poor efficiency in the past. I figured I could add water to top off if I overshot.

Anyway, everything seemed to be going well. Beersmith estimated my gravity going into the boiler at 1.046 at 7.0 gallons. I got 7.1 gallons and had 1.047 gravity. I had my expected efficiency set to 75%. BS shows efficiency into boiler at 84.06%.

Then I boiled in my 15 gallon kettle on a turkey fryer. I lose a lot of boil-off with this pot, and I still haven't mastered estimating just how much I am going to lose. Working on that. Anyway, I did my 60 minute boil and then used my immersion chiller down to 65. I got a huge amount of cold break, much more than usual, which I attributed to very cold water coming out of the sink. I whirlpooled, waited 20 minutes, and then tried to siphon as little break material as possible into the carboy, but I still got a good 1/2" of trub on the bottom of the carboy. The 15 gallon kettle does not make siphoning easier due to the huge surface area.

I ended up with 4.3 gallons in my carboy and a gravity reading of 1.054 - efficiency of 58.49% calculated from actual volume. Since BS had estimated my OG at 1.054, would you leave this as-is or add a half gallon of boiled water? Adding a half gallon should lower OG to 1.050.

Any ideas on where I lost all my efficiency? Was it in the break material? I dumped easily 3/4ths of a gallon to a gallon of material from the kettle. I really didn't want all that crap in my carboy.

Help! :)

It had to have been. Still amazing you lost that much sugar... do you think maybe your readings were off?

It's such a basic thing to do that I don't want to think so, but it's possible. My brew buddy watched me take the readings and agreed with them. But anything's possible, and that's really the only other explanation I can come up with.

Although it’s no consolation, I have the same issue. I was haunted by bad efficiency, but was only measuring it at the fermenter. The last handful of batches, I’ve been doing a pre-boil measurement and found that my mash efficiency is actually quite good. Like you, my boil-off rate is high and I’m unwilling to add everything from the boil to the fermenter, so my brewhouse efficiency suffers.

To compensate, I set my batch size higher in BeerSmith, typically 6 gallons. This means I use a little more grain and water to get the desired OG. With this method, I end up with a full 5+ gallon batch, but poor brewhouse numbers.

To answer your question, I wouldn’t add water to your current batch. It’s quality, not quantity that we’re after. Lousy brewhouse efficiency may not be acceptable for a commercial brewery, but for homebrewers it should not be a worry as long as we are making good beer.

Although it’s no consolation, I have the same issue.

Actually, that is some consolation. I don't mind adjusting things to compensate for my equipment/process, so long as I don't feel like I am making a critical error at some point in my process. A couple pounds of grain and a couple gallons of water aren't going to cost me my house ;)

Back