The 'Keezer' Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be a poor grad student, but I am definitely building one of these! Luckily I have some mad carpentry skills, and can even make old ratty 2x4's look kinda nice.
I hate to ask this question, cause I know it has been asked several times before, but I was curious about how you secured the lid. Are the two t-nuts enough to take the full weight of the lid when open? And you mentioned you used screws, would a bolt work better, or are the screws enough.
Anyhow, great job on the keezer. I have been drooling over this thread long enough, so I figure I had better start posting and get my own Jester-brand keezer built!

I may be a poor grad student, but I am definitely building one of these! Luckily I have some mad carpentry skills, and can even make old ratty 2x4's look kinda nice.
I hate to ask this question, cause I know it has been asked several times before, but I was curious about how you secured the lid. Are the two t-nuts enough to take the full weight of the lid when open? And you mentioned you used screws, would a bolt work better, or are the screws enough.
Anyhow, great job on the keezer. I have been drooling over this thread long enough, so I figure I had better start posting and get my own Jester-brand keezer built!

I used a sliding lid on mine, but I would expect screws would be fine. Use larger ones (#8 or so) and deck screws - not drywall. Most of the lid force is downwards (that is, perpendicular to the screw) rather than out, so I would not expect problems. If you're really worried use bolts through the 2x4.

The screws are really just there to keep the lid from sliding forward when the lid is closed - there is a 3/4" plywood lip that goes all the way around the sides and front. It isn't going anywhere! Bolts would certainly be stronger, but not necessary.

Use larger ones (#8 or so) and deck screws - not drywall. Most of the lid force is downwards (that is, perpendicular to the screw) rather than out, so I would not expect problems. If you're really worried use bolts through the 2x4.

I used either #8 or 10 - can't remember - but they were machine screws, not wood or drywall.

Jester what spacing did you use between taps and what height from the drip tray were they? I re-examined my freezer and determined that I can squeeze 7 kegs inside if I leave the CO2 tank outside. So now I plan on building a 7 tap coffin box as close to your own as possible.

The drip tray has a drain in it, and there is a hose from it to a growler in the freezer

:mug:

aw man... I need to engineer a drain in my drip tray...

is yours engineered in a way that it all drains nicely or is it pretty much flat? Cus mine is, I'm gonna try to bend it a little and make a slope

Jester what spacing did you use between taps and what height from the drip tray were they? I re-examined my freezer and determined that I can squeeze 7 kegs inside if I leave the CO2 tank outside. So now I plan on building a 7 tap coffin box as close to your own as possible.

Sorry it took so long - totally forgot!

4.5" between, 11" up. That's the centerline for the shank holes. I arrived at those figures by placing pint glasses side by side and picking a convenient spacing, and the height was just high enough to easily fit a pitcher under it. Of course, with the taps so convenient I have yet to fill a pitcher. Filled some growlers for immediate consumption at remote locations, however.

aw man... I need to engineer a drain in my drip tray...

is yours engineered in a way that it all drains nicely or is it pretty much flat? Cus mine is, I'm gonna try to bend it a little and make a slope

It's just a flat bottom, so it definitely needs a wipe out from time to time.

Well crap, like so many of you I thought I was content to just build a collar with taps on it... then just now I saw this thread... so much for the thought that it would be a simple conversion.

My keezer is coming along, not sure if I am allowed to link out or not but here is what I have so far:

http://fcba.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=105751698

Still waiting on my taps and lines to arrive, then I'll measure up the coffin box and start drilling holes for the shanks. I still haven't found a stain I like yet, I would like to go with something reddish to compliment the black body of the freezer.

d@mn you all have allot of woodworking skills for a bunch of drunks.
i am impressed and inspired. I know im late to the discussion (as i am with every thread here apparently, but i thought id offer some insight, and ask a question.
Hey Jester, quick question if you're monitoring this thread. The holes in the top to the coffin. Do you use any "edge protection" to prevent any abrasion into the beer lines?
at your local autoparts store there are tubes of "window weld" in the glue isle. its black urethane, its the same stuff they put in high performance engine mounts for race cars, so it should hold up to the stress well. 13$ a tube, goes into a caulk gun, but you will have to build up a bushing around it, id recommend building a mold with cardboard, and masking tape, filling it up, then pulling off the mold.

What are you using as a prop for the lid? I'm just using a stick & it's scary as hell leaning into the keezer with a hundred + lbs waiting to crash down on my head!
so again, from the automotive world.
hatchbacks. if you have ever taken the hatch off of a hatchback (those things are effin heavy) if it were me, wile i was at the autoparts store, i'd tell the guy behind the counter that i needed a hatch support piston for a 91 mazda 323. or a geo metro im pretty sure one should do you. placement is on you though cause im not sure how much your lid weighs, but those hatches are upwards of 100 lbs.

now my turn for an annoying question.
where the eff do i get the regulator that allows freezers to cool at refrigerator temperature?

thanks in advance.
broke builder

d@mn you all have allot of woodworking skills for a bunch of drunks.
i am impressed and inspired. I know im late to the discussion (as i am with every thread here apparently, but i thought id offer some insight, and ask a question.

at your local autoparts store there are tubes of "window weld" in the glue isle. its black urethane, its the same stuff they put in high performance engine mounts for race cars, so it should hold up to the stress well. 13$ a tube, goes into a caulk gun, but you will have to build up a bushing around it, id recommend building a mold with cardboard, and masking tape, filling it up, then pulling off the mold.

so again, from the automotive world.
hatchbacks. if you have ever taken the hatch off of a hatchback (those things are effin heavy) if it were me, wile i was at the autoparts store, i'd tell the guy behind the counter that i needed a hatch support piston for a 91 mazda 323. or a geo metro im pretty sure one should do you. placement is on you though cause im not sure how much your lid weighs, but those hatches are upwards of 100 lbs.

now my turn for an annoying question.
where the eff do i get the regulator that allows freezers to cool at refrigerator temperature?

thanks in advance.
broke builder

They are available at most homebrew shops. But here is what you are looking for:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Components%3AThermostats

I highly recommend Kegconnection.

AHS also has a digital version.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_366

I'm sure it would work, but I think you are looking at a lot of effort to solve a non-problem. The lines are not subjected to any real movement that would require that kind of protection. There has been zero chafing in my beer lines.

Other temp controllers to consider besides the Johnson controllers mentioned by Ciliorozo would be Ranco or Love controllers.

:mug:

Hey Jester,

Just curious, how is the keezer holding up? The exhaust fan still working properly? I saw taht someone asked a year ago or so, and just wondered if everything is still operating at peak performance.

Ok...this is turning into an expensive hobby / pastime. Went from buying basic brewing supplies, to ordering enough stuff to build a two tap chest conversion...and now I am going to have to buy a bunch of lumber. I thank you all for the motivation....and quickly draining my wallet. :mug: I'll post build pics soon...getting the freezer tomorrow, and the rest of the parts are in the mail and arrive the 24th. Merry Christmas to me!

Ok...this is turning into an expensive hobby / pastime. Went from buying basic brewing supplies, to ordering enough stuff to build a two tap chest conversion...and now I am going to have to buy a bunch of lumber. I thank you all for the motivation....and quickly draining my wallet. :mug: I'll post build pics soon...getting the freezer tomorrow, and the rest of the parts are in the mail and arrive the 24th. Merry Christmas to me!

Excellent! Glad I could help spend your money ;)

Two things I would change:

1) Use better wood. The poplar looks nice enough, but considering the total cost of the project I shouldn't have skimped.

2) Position the drip tray better. On mine, it's a little too far back. A glass sitting directly under the tap straddles the drip tray on mine.

Other than that, I really love mine.

I couldn't agree more!!!!! My wife bought me a deluxe home brewing kit about 5 months ago and I got the brewing bug immediately. Now I'm elbows deep in a 3-4 tap rustic keezer build (thanks again for the inspiration Erik!) and accumulating materials for a HERMS all grain brewing set up. My new found hobby is costing me a fortune as well! :D If only my wife knew exactly how much I am spending on this keezer build, she would not be pleased. :( Can't wait to start following your thread "mach9"....good luck!

Hey Jester not sure if you still follow this thead but thanks for the inspiration. Took what I could from your build and put in some pint glass holders and made it out of oak. All panels are Dado'ed in and are free floating. Never done anything like this in my life, just sick of sitting on the sidelines watching New Yankee Workshop on PBS and decided to make someting. Turns out ole' Norm A. isnt so full of Crap. Anyways thanks a lot for the idea.

PS Bugeater if your read this thanks for the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Beer recipe..makes my Keezer all that much more great when I can pull delicious pint to associate it with my hard work!!!

Chris

181658_10150151947011138_535246137_8694070_7620222_n.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/...0151947011138_535246137_8694070_7620222_n.jpg

I like the small footprint the keezer has plus the ratio of the overhang to keezer. Looks great your build it's added to my files as well the Jester build.
BTW I miss Norm, the "Rough Cut" replacement person needs to mellow out I hate watching his uptight show. I've noticed Norm has the shakes over the last couple years, I wish him well.

I've noticed that quite a few keezer designs use built-in chalkboards or areas sprayed with that chalk-board paint. It just seems to me that leaning over the counter to write on a vertical surface would be pretty tough. Has anyone used a chalk-board that looks built-in but can be removed for writing/cleaning?

Hey all. Just letting you know I'm going to attempt to build this same keezer. I have the Sunbeam 7.2 that I believe Lilrascal used.

I have just about zero wood working skills, so I'll be cheating this by building a frame of whatever and then paneling it. I'm hoping I can get that to look nice.

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I am hoping to add a very cool feature to the Keezer soon. Build pix to follow, of course...

:D

If this is friggin awesome I really hope you made it easy for me to incorporate into my bar :p

I am eargerly awaiting pics!

Motorized top?

So what's the "cool feature" and how much is it going to cost? Let me know before I wrap mine up the rest of the way. I'm 95% done with my keezer build (posted updated pics last night on my thread), so let me know if it's something that I may want to incorporate before I finish this thing off. :mug: Honestly, if I spend anymore on this keezer build (time or money), my wife is really going to get pi$$ed. I've seen by your pics how much your wife supports your keezer project.....mine, not so much! I think that she would rather torch it than pose for a pic while hugging it. :( Let me know Erik!

I just researched the idea of a coffin style keezer and what is there to say....holy crap man this thing is awesome. I can't wait to see what this cool new feature is.

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I am hoping to add a very cool feature to the Keezer soon. Build pix to follow, of course...

:D

I just bought a 7 cubic foot freezer today, and I come across this thread. I never wanted to do a collar, but I was thinking about the towers. Now I'm thinking about a coffin.

Back