Cysers - Apple Honey Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjFarout

Reaction score
After making a very simple hooch, I decided to take it a step further and make this Cyser. I got a simple recipe from a book at my local brew store.

4 Gallons of apple juice
4 pounds of honey
4 canton tab
2 tsp of Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp peptic blend
And yeast, it was a wine type yeast, but I forgot to write down the type, he just handed me the correct stuff.

I combined it all in a big carboy, waited ~2 days and added the yeast. 4 months later, I have it in the same carboy.(yes, I know I probably should have moved it).

Well today I decided to keg it. I tried a bit of it, and it isn't sweet at all. It's quite strong. It smells really applee.. which means nothing went bad(right).. But I really wanted it to be sweet. What can I do to sweeten it up for next weekend??

Edit : Btw. Oh, I moved it over to my corny keg. But haven't pressurized it yet.

If you're planning on force carbonating, you can kill the fermentation (with potassium sorbate), and then add sugar, or honey, to taste. If you don't have the potassium sorbate you can sweeten with either unfermentable sugar (lactose) or artificial sweetener (splenda, aspartame, etc).

Potassium sorbate by itself does not stop fermentation, it hinders yeast production. The yeast still in solution are able to ferment any sugar added. I would add potassium sorbate AND potassium metabisulfate to the solution in the dosages that is written on the packet (usually like 1/2 tsp per gallon). After a day or so you can then go ahead and sweeten to taste.

The other solution is to sweeten with an unfermentable sugar such as lactose or xylitol.

Potassium sorbate by itself does not stop fermentation, it hinders yeast production. The yeast still in solution are able to ferment any sugar added. I would add potassium sorbate AND potassium metabisulfate to the solution in the dosages that is written on the packet (usually like 1/2 tsp per gallon). After a day or so you can then go ahead and sweeten to taste.

The other solution is to sweeten with an unfermentable sugar such as lactose or xylitol.
I know this is the usual method of killing the yeast. But if you add the metabisulphite, which kills the yeast, why add a substance that prevents reproduction? Dead yeast does not multiply.

I'm not 100% on why you add both. You could probably get away with adding just the metabisulfite, but I guess adding them both gives you that added levelof security. The metabisulfite will also help with oxidation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, I added 5 campden tablets. Then the next day I added a can of concentrated Apple juice. Today, I tried it.. and it taste like rubbing alcohol. No real flavor... Any idea how to make it taste any better?

I saw post about making Apple Pie flavored cider.. you think if I added sugar, and some spices.. it would mix together by Sunday(I was going to take it to a picnic..)

The only thing that would make it taste better is age. Around 3 months if possible. Otherwise you can just oversweeten to the point that you can't taste anything else but sugar.

Edit: Geez, I missed the part in the OP about it being 4 months old. You might have to let it ride out a bit longer than a normal cider because of the honey. Meads (honey wines) take a long time to mellow out because of the honey.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, I added 5 campden tablets. Then the next day I added a can of concentrated Apple juice. Today, I tried it.. and it taste like rubbing alcohol. No real flavor... Any idea how to make it taste any better?

I saw post about making Apple Pie flavored cider.. you think if I added sugar, and some spices.. it would mix together by Sunday(I was going to take it to a picnic..)

5 Campden tablets???:eek:
1 Campden tablet is good for 5 gallons!!!

The way I see it, the Campden tablets couldn't kill the yeast on their own, and the concentrate you added got fermented into a high alcohol hooch.

You need to kill the yeast with potassium sorbate (do not use a Ton!!! Just what's recommended on the label) AND 1 Campden tablet. Then you can sweeten, and then you have to let it condition.
Either way, with the amount of sodium you just added to your liquid, I'm not sure it will ever taste that good.

I'd recommend you cold crash it, rack it off the lees, add potassium sorbate and, if you have it , potassium metabisulfite (as to not add any more sodium), and then add more concentrate and forget about it for a few months. But don't go overboard with the chemicals!

Ouch! I just did. Turns out I've been doing it wrong all these years...:eek::eek:
Thanks for letting me know.

Dj: you were right, I was wrong. Sorry.

I hate the thought of adding chemicals. Has one tablet per 5 gallons worked though?

I've been cold crashing it to stop fermentation. Then it gets drunk to quick to worry about bottle bombs. As I start making larger batches, I'll have to worry.

Back