cleaning kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
what needs to be done to a corny keg that has pop in it before i use it. i have never kegged before is there a good cleaner or something else that needs to be done before i use it.

Scratch the StarSan (for Cleaning)....Go with PBW...or Oxyclean. You need the detergent power to really scrub out years of soda residue. You will want to use the starsan to sanitize when you are finished before you fill it.
An O-ring replacement kit comes with the big one for the lid, 2 little ones for under the posts (you gotta take the posts off) and 2 medium ones for the connections on the posts. You can (and sometimes have to) replace the "poppets" which are the little valves inside the post. They just fall out most of the time, but occasionally need some coaxing with a little screw driver.

Just dive right in. It very simple once you get going.

Trust me, it's pretty easy to tear them down and clean and put them back together. I'm pretty "girlish" and I haven't had a problem at all. Well, except for the different sizes. I bought a deep socket set for the kegs, but some are 11/16ths, some are 7/8ths, and some are star shaped. That's the only "hard" part of this.

Replacing all the o-rings is crucial- I don't think you'll ever get the soda smell out otherwise. Oxyclean works great for the inside and the parts (as BigK said) and then just sanitize and go.

Latest posts

Back