Arthur Guinness joins the creative packaging crowd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
Picked up a twelve pack of Guiness' sampler for a reasonable $13.50 the other day. When I actually opened one and poured it, it seemed a bit short. Then I read the label: "11.2 ounces." Along with so many other manufacturers, Guinness manages to short you a bottle in a 12-pack and presumably keep the same price, while saying nothing about downsizing the bottle.

Those bastards! Gotta be careful when reading packages these days. Everyone is trying to make a buck. Notice I did not say "earn" a buck!

Frankly, I think Guinness should only be sold in full pints.

Guinness bottles, at least the ones I've bought for the last very long while, have all been 11.2oz. I assumed it was something to do with mL vs oz. or that the 11.2oz was the more "common" serving size across the pond.

Beer is often sold in 330mL bottles in the metric countries. You're not being shorted, they just don't want to have to buy special bottles for exports to old-fashioned countries.

Back