Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanting to brew this but I also have a lot of 2-row left and would like to use it up. How different would the taste of the beer be if I used 2-row in place of the pilsner?

Would splitting it be ok(4 lbs 2row, 4.5 pilsner)?

Also, for the starter - If I brew this on Monday would making a starter Sunday be ok or should I start it on Saturday then cold crash it and decant it Monday morning, then allow it to warm up to pitching temp?

Wanting to brew this but I also have a lot of 2-row left and would like to use it up. How different would the taste of the beer be if I used 2-row in place of the pilsner?

Would splitting it be ok(4 lbs 2row, 4.5 pilsner)?

I've brewed this with both. The difference isn't noticeable enough to matter to me. I'm going to my Local store today to get stuff to make this one again. Thinking about splitting the Pilsner and 2 row 50/50.

Also, for the starter - If I brew this on Monday would making a starter Sunday be ok or should I start it on Saturday then cold crash it and decant it Monday morning, then allow it to warm up to pitching temp?

To each his own, but I usually make a starter 24 hours before I want to pitch. Let it ride a stir plate until 3 or 4 hours before pitching. Put it in the fridge to crash cool for a couple of hours. Then decant and set on counter for a couple of hours to bring back to room temp.

I've brewed this with both. The difference isn't noticeable enough to matter to me. I'm going to my Local store today to get stuff to make this one again. Thinking about splitting the Pilsner and 2 row 50/50.

To each his own, but I usually make a starter 24 hours before I want to pitch. Let it ride a stir plate until 3 or 4 hours before pitching. Put it in the fridge to crash cool for a couple of hours. Then decant and set on counter for a couple of hours to bring back to room temp.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback on both my questions! Still trying to understand "proper" protocol when it comes to starters.

Stoked to make this!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback on both my questions! Still trying to understand "proper" protocol when it comes to starters.

Stoked to make this!
You're welcome!!
To be honest, in my experience, it's pretty hard to mess up a starter provided you make it at the right OG.

I've made a starter and had to keep it in the fridge for a week because I didn't get to brew on the day I thought I would...

I've realized the day I was going to make one that I was out of DME. In that case, I took some wort out of the boil and diluted it a bit with RO. Cooled it. Added yeast and stuck it on the stir plate and pitched it first thing the next morning. (Didn't need to chill and decant that time. Starter was made out of the same wort as the beer. :) )

You get the idea.
Personally, I just make it at the correct OG. Then pitch it as close as I can get it to the same temp as my wort. Eg. If I'm fermenting at 68. I like to have my starter as close to 68 as I can get it.

I brewed 10 gallons of this yesterday. Ended up using two different yeast strains, 3711 and 3724, that's all that the brew store had and I didn't get around to making a starter. Hit all of my numbers and now it's fermenting away in my new fermentation chamber at 68. Interested to see the difference between the yeast flavors.

Thank you for this recipe. The hydrometer sample tasted great!

I have a question for you azscoob. Have you ever used 3724 with this recipe? I've read that it has a problem with attenuating and I'm wondering if I should remove it from the fermentation chamber and just leave the 3711 at 68 for the first couple weeks. The 3724 would be at room temp which is 78. Thoughts?

I've not used it before, but higher temps usually improve attenuation so I can't imagine things going wrong by moving it to ambient temps.

Millhouse9,

I am currently fermenting this saison with 3724. It has only been a week so I can't give you any more feedback than that.

I know my fermenter may be stuck at high temps for quite some time, but I am real looking forward to this beer.

Thanks for the recipe OP.

Coy94

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404845194.040968.jpg
5 weeks in the bottle and I think this thing is peaking. The smell is amazing.

Got all the ingredients to brew this tomorrow, with one exception - Fuggles.

I do have Sorachi and will use it as a FWH. I have some Northern Brewer I think I might use at 30 (.5oz) and either another .5oz of NB or maybe .25 of Sorachi at 5 minutes.

Thoughts?

I say Sorachi as well. I did a different saison with sorachi and it turned out great. The lemon and grassiness fits at home in a traditional saison.

Sorachi it is. Just mashed in at 147.5, doing 1:1.5 grains to water.

My 3711 starter smells good- very excite!

I just tried my first bottle of this and, even though it should be way too early, I can tell this beer is going to be amazing. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

I need to make another batch of this ASAP!

Done and done. I wanted to tone it down a bit (I have a few higher % beers already and wanted a more sessionable brew) so I used just

8 2-row
1 White Wheat
.5 flaked Oats
.5 Caramunich (120 was all they had).

Ended up with 6 gallons instead of 5.5 as I didn't get as much boil off as I was expecting (very warm day out, for Canada anyhow). I was also fiddling with my burner to avoid getting soot on my kettle. Which worked, but effected my evaporation a bit.

Pitched my yeast starter and it smelled great. If this goes well I will try to do the proper/original recipe soon and pitch it on the yeast cake from this.

After dutifully waiting 3 1/2 weeks to bottle condition, I finally got a taste of this. It is fantastic, a really great example of a Saison. I took 4 bottles to my homebrew club meeting last night and they were gone in five minutes, everyone liked it, and wanted more lol. A great recipe. This will stay on the regular rotation.

Just brewed this recipe last night. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Only changed the hop schedule, because I have about 4# of assorted hops in the freezer, but neither of the ones used in the recipe.

FWH - 12g Amarillo, 12g Galaxy
30 min - 14g wilamette
15 min - 14g galaxy
Other than that, stuck with the original recipe, also I'm thinkin about seperating half of this off after primary, and racking on some puréed blueberries. Anyone tried anything like this?

After dutifully waiting 3 1/2 weeks to bottle condition, I finally got a taste of this. It is fantastic, a really great example of a Saison. I took 4 bottles to my homebrew club meeting last night and they were gone in five minutes, everyone liked it, and wanted more lol. A great recipe. This will stay on the regular rotation.

Glad it was such a hit with the club!

The trouble is there is always a shortage of this beer when I make it, made two 10 gallon batches one time, it still seemed to fly from the taps at blinding speed.

I just made a 5.5% ABV version of this today to fill up a mountain of 500ml bottles I had kicking around. I figured it'd be good to have pints of with a BBQ.

I scaled it down to 3.5kg of pilsner and reduced all the other ingredients in proportion to that. If it's anywhere as good as the original recipe it'll be a winner!

I used EKG and Sorachi Ace as before.

I just made a 5.5% ABV version of this today to fill up a mountain of 500ml bottles I had kicking around. I figured it'd be good to have pints of with a BBQ.

I scaled it down to 3.5kg of pilsner and reduced all the other ingredients in proportion to that. If it's anywhere as good as the original recipe it'll be a winner!

I used EKG and Sorachi Ace as before.

That sounds amazing, I need a more session able version of this beer myself!

Just threw together a second 5 gal batch of this one, great recipe. I split it between 2 three gallon corny's, one with Yeast Bay Saison Blend and the other with WLP568. Bubbling away in the hot garage right now... Love the saison style.

Hey serum...mind posting that recipe? I took a gravity sample the other day and this tastes great. I think a more sessionable version would be fantastic!

Here it is. I kinda rounded everything up and it's metric so hopefully that won't cause a problem. I went with the following quantities for a 20L batch:

Colour 12.4 EBC
IBU: 35.5
Boil time: 60 mins

3.5kg Dingemans Pilsner
0.2kg Wheat malt
0.2kg Caramunich
0.2kg Malted Oats

12g EKG & 12g Sorachi Ace FWH
12g EKG at 30 mins
24g EKG at 5 mins
0.3kg Orange Blossom Honey 5 mins
1tsp Black Pepper 5 mins

750ml French Saison starter (stir plate used)

These quantities might need changing to match your setup. I have quite a bit of dead space in my boiler so this got me enough wort to fill that and drain 20L with an SG of 1046 which should get me around the 5.5% mark if it goes down to 1.004. It's also the first time I've tried scaling a recipe down so it's a bit of an experiment.

Has anyone tried reducing the IBU a little? I get this really nice sweet creamy smell from the original beer but the taste is a little more bitter so I wonder if that would come through more with less hops. Maybe aging will bring that down although I really can't see this batch lasting very long!

Thanks again azscoob for giving us such a great recipe to work with.

To reduce the bittering, move some of the FWH and 30 min hops closer to the end for more aroma and flavor and less bittering.

And serum, you are quite welcome! I enjoy seeing everyone digging my recipe!

So who thinks I should brew this here real soon and bottle it up for self-promoting distribution to co-workers and friends?

[shoots hand into the air] oooooh oooooh me me me!!!

Here it is. I kinda rounded everything up and it's metric so hopefully that won't cause a problem. I went with the following quantities for a 20L batch:

Colour 12.4 EBC
IBU: 35.5
Boil time: 60 mins

3.5kg Dingemans Pilsner
0.2kg Wheat malt
0.2kg Caramunich
0.2kg Malted Oats

12g EKG & 12g Sorachi Ace FWH
12g EKG at 30 mins
24g EKG at 5 mins
0.3kg Orange Blossom Honey 5 mins
1tsp Black Pepper 5 mins

750ml French Saison starter (stir plate used)

These quantities might need changing to match your setup. I have quite a bit of dead space in my boiler so this got me enough wort to fill that and drain 20L with an SG of 1046 which should get me around the 5.5% mark if it goes down to 1.004. It's also the first time I've tried scaling a recipe down so it's a bit of an experiment.

Has anyone tried reducing the IBU a little? I get this really nice sweet creamy smell from the original beer but the taste is a little more bitter so I wonder if that would come through more with less hops. Maybe aging will bring that down although I really can't see this batch lasting very long!

Thanks again azscoob for giving us such a great recipe to work with.

I'd recommend a 90 minute boil w/ that much pilsner & I would add about a .5 kg of rice hulls to help avoid a stuck sparge given the wheat & oats.
I just tapped my 4 the batch yesterday. I used med Belgian can't instead of honey & I added the freshly
cracked peppercorns to secondary since I omitted from my boil. It actually enhanced the pepper but wasn't too much.
Love this recipe !!

sub

Has anyone tried making this (or a similar saison) with Midnight Wheat instead of White Wheat? I love me a dark beer and when my current batch is done I'd like to re-use the yeast for another batch - either a Saison Noir or maybe a Pumpkin Saison for the Fall.

The recipe says to add the spice at 5 minutes left in the boil. I don't know about boiling the pumpkin for the full 60 minutes though. I'd look into that a little more.

I'm brewing the pumpkin saison at the following link tonight.
http://www.ltdsupply.ca/?p=2352
Just trying to figure out when to add the spices.

The recipe seems pretty solid, though the melanoiden seems a bit excessive to me, (it's cloyingly sweet to me) I'm not a fan, personally were it me for more depth, collect a half gallon of the first runnings and boil it down, constantly stirring to avoid burning... Reduce by 50% or so and then add in the balance of the runnings to the kettle and boil as usual.

The pumpkin in the mash is correct, bake it off first and let cool, this can also be done with fresh pumpkin, and to be honest any squash, you can't tell in the finished beer, I've used acorn squash in beer with great results.... Just quarter it, and bake covered in foil till really soft.

As for spices, I would be real conservitave on the spices and keep to the 5 minute mark...

I have a chipotle pepper spiced pumpkin ale recipe I need willing brewers to try, I need to post it up!

I would've tried the chipotle pepper one if I hadn't done this already :)
I'm looking for a stout with some "heat" so if you have anything like that I might give t a shot.

As for the spices in the link I posted, I'm going to add to the primary after a couple weeks as a tea let that mix for a week or two taste and bottle. I think with the porter/stout like grain bill the spices won't be as pronounced.

Belgian Pilsner malt or US 2 row? I brewed this with Breiss 2 row and it was awesome. I have both base malts on hand and was curious if anyone had tried brewing both ways and if the Pilsner makes a notable difference. If not I'll go with the less expensive 2 row. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back