Simcoe hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
Obviously a dumb question but im looking for some simcoe hops online and everybody is out!!! Im trying to make a maharaja and need about 12 oz. Any ideas? Could also make a half batch if anybody is able to part with some. Thanks ahead of time.

For what its worth here is my AG Maharaja clone. 5 gallon batch.

I only used 7 oz of Simcoe and it's pretty close.

Grains:
16.5 lb 2 Row Malt
.5 lb Victory malt
.5 lb Crystal 120L Malt
Hops:
2 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1 oz Columbus @ 30 min
2.5 oz Simcoe @ 0 min
2.5 oz Centennial @ 0 min
4.5 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
2.5 oz Centennial - Dry Hop
2 oz Crystal - Dry Hop
Yeast:
2 Vials White Labs California Ale 001

I'm actually about to kick the keg of this Maharaja clone it's going to be a sad day.:(

Good luck getting the Simcoe.

I've found some hard to find hops at Austin homebrew and northern brewer. I actually just bought Simcoe from Austin homebrew. Most simcoe has been bought by the micro/craft breweries so there won't be a ton more til harvest time. Good luck.

A brewcraft distributor shouldn't have any trouble. They seem to keep supplying them without problem. They are located in PDX so I'd look around a bit. Might have to drive a little to find em though.

I JUST checked AHS. They have Simcoe Leaf at $4 for 2 oz. You must be looking at pellets. I was able to add leaf to my cart no problem.

Yep, was looking at pellets. Good to know on the leaf.

I think I'm going to hit up my LHBS today and stock up on the 2 oz/$5 pellets.

I was wondering about the shipping location being Czech. Check amazon, i have seen lbs of simcoe on there recently, some leaf though. I got lucky and stocked up; still have about 2 lbs to get me through the next few months.

+1 to ILBMF. Got the 2010 Simcoe from them. I knew they were Russian, but that doesnt mean they would be bad hops. The "Simcoes" I got from them did not resemble Simcoes in my freezer in any way shape or form. Made some hop tea with them and close as I can figure they were cascades or amarillo. I wont be buying from them again

What is the Simcoe season? When will they become more widely available again?
I promised my dad that I would brew a Pliny with him, but can't source the Simcoes from anywhere but Austin and really don't want to pay $8 shipping just for the hops.

Simcoe, amarillo, and citra are in very short supply this year due to low yields last year due to wet weather in the PNW combined with high demand for these hops from craft brewers. I've burned through my supply, so I'll be waiting to re-brew the Maha clone until October when the new crop comes in.

I have a Maha clone in my dropdown - El Dictador. I changed up the hops slightly. That beer has won several medals and I believe many folks have tried it and liked the recipe a lot.

Back