No HBstore, need help picking alternative yeast nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleiexjr

Reaction score
Hello guys,

There are no HomeBrew Stores near me, and those that can send me my beer supplies do not provide wine or mead supplies so I'd like to know if I could use any of the food suplements that are sold on naturist stores or places like GNC.

I've read that it is also possible to use pollen, wich I can get in the same place where I bought my honey, If any of you have used it, how much would you recomend me to use?

Thanks a lot!

Hello guys,

There are no HomeBrew Stores near me, and those that can send me my beer supplies do not provide wine or mead supplies so I'd like to know if I could use any of the food suplements that are sold on naturist stores or places like GNC.

I've read that it is also possible to use pollen, wich I can get in the same place where I bought my honey, If any of you have used it, how much would you recomend me to use?

Thanks a lot!
Yes, apparently you can, but there doesn't seem to be much data on it's use. You can also use vitamin B supplements that can be obtained from a chemist/drug store, or even one of the yeast extract products for making sandwiches - though care is needed as they have a high salt content.

You can also get packs of bread yeast and pour it into boiling water and boil it to produce something like yeast hulls........

Me ? I'd just go down the mail order route - Oh and I've also successfully used Wyeast yeast nutrient, which I believe is formulated for beer.....

Pollen can be used. While its constituents vary from place to place, you probably need at least 4 oz of pollen for a 5-gallon batch to provide enough nitrogen for the yeast to function optimally.

Mail order from online places works well here in the U.S. - I'm not sure about availability in Mexico.

By boiling bread/wine/brewer's yeast you can make you own organic yeast nutrient. 1 gram in a gallon probably provides 9-12 ppm nitrogen, so you need a lot - enough that it may contribute some yeasty flavor though that should age out.

Using dried fruit or fruit juices can also boost up the available nitrogen for the yeast.

Medsen

I've tried ordering from online US stores, but it's way too expensive to buy supplies because of high taxes for this kind of products :(

Anyway, I'm going to do two 2.5 gal batches, I'll add pollen to one and boiled yeast to the other one and see what happens.

Back