looking for ways to cut costs? Try this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryms88

Reaction score
If your like me, and like to get the most out of my money, try a traditional double edge razor! Instead of taking short cuts in brewing i looked into other aspects of life to safe money and put more into brewing, this is what i came up with!

YEE_6585.jpg

Try one of these with a technique called "wet shaving" and you can achieve a better, more comfortable shave. More info here: http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

Now how this saves money....

If you use a gillette fusion or mach 3 like i used to, the cartridges are EXPENSIVE! Lets say you buy 1 refill (8 cartridges) every other month thats $138 a year ($23/package)

Double edge blades cost $4.89+tax at wallgreens for 10 blades ( 1 blade lasts 8-10 shaves) totaling to a whoping $30 a year

= a savings of $100/year

Initial costs of the actual DE razor can be anywhere from $10-$100+

my recomendation fpr beginners is to get an old Gillette tech off of ebay. I got 2 for about $12/each shipped. These old razors are cheap and were manufactured to a higher standard than some of the cheap new ones you can find on ebay. Just make sure you clean and sanitize before use!

If you dont want an old antique and like new things go for a merkur 32c they cost around $40

Not sure how many people on here use DE razors but I thought I would spread the word.

If you use a gillette fusion or mach 3 like i used to, the cartridges are EXPENSIVE! Lets say you buy 1 refill (8 cartridges) every other month thats $138 a year ($23/package)
So that's like 1 new cartridge every 4 days?

I'm not sure how fast I go through mine, but it's way slower than that!

I bought a bulk package of refills at Costco about three years ago for $70 and I am still using them.

Granted I don't shave my whole face, and really only shave my neck and around my mouth like every other day or 3... So I can go through a 5-pack of blades in about 6 months I think. I don't even keep track.

I just slash with hot water and start cutting. Once in a while, if I do decide to shave my whole face, or just really want a very smooth and comfy feel (for the lady), I use shaving cream.

There is a thread on here about straight razors, which I think last forever, so you coudl save even more money!

So that's like 1 new cartridge every 4 days?

I'm not sure how fast I go through mine, but it's way slower than that!

I bought a bulk package of refills at Costco about three years ago for $70 and I am still using them.

I would go thru about 1 per week, maybe 2 weeks so 4 weeks per month X 2 months = 8 cartridges

i have to be clean shaven for my job and have to shave just about every day so i would go thru them pretty quick

I bought the costco pack of refills for my mach 3, I had them cryo-treated with some other parts I needed to get done, one razor has lasted me for about a year, still shaves like new, no pulling or nicking. at this rate I will probably be dead before I run out of refills. at 7 dollars per pound to cryo-treat things, I think I made a good investment, I have done my kitchen knives, they take and hold an edge far better than they did before being treated.

On a side note, the Art of Manliness is a great site! have a look around there, lots of good information!

i found i can save some money every year cause i shave so much but i guess it really depends on how much you shave and how fast you go thru razors........ i like the cryo-treating idea!

I am definately down for getting an old school razor, maybe I will cryo a few packs of blades once I find one that gets me a great shave, I have been looking for some good shave products, and there are several I want to try on the art of manliness site.

PM me if you want a few packs done, I will buy them get them cryo'd and send them to you to save on excessive shipping.

I've been wetshaving for a couple of years and use the Red Personna blades. I buy them online, 100 at a time for about $12. There's a wholesaler on e-bay I buy from.

But it's a lot like brewing beer; my collection of brushes and various shaving soaps and creams has definitely cost me more money!!

You get the cryo done locally? I would love to find a place that does that around here.

Yes, there is a guy locally here in Scottsdale, Cryogenics International, I use him for all of my motor internals when building a performance engine, and obviously for my other little projects too.

I use the mach3 turbo (electric vibrating one) and rarely replace the blades. The one I have now does need to be replaced and I have been using it for 2-3 months if not longer now. I normal refil pack easily lasts me well over a year. I shave every 2-3 days.

Grow a beard. I haven't shaved in 11 years. Cost: $0

Yup, I like my beard. I just have a cheap rechargeable electric shaver that I trim up with. It's probably pushing 10 years old now. Ever the cheapskate that I am, when the battery quit working I took it in to a specialty battery store and had it replaced for 10$ instead of buying a new unit..

I don't shave often and I don't use any shaving cream or lather. Haven't for 20 years.

IMHO those electric razors leave a terrible shave, I've tried about 5 different ones over the years and non have come close to the shave my mach3 give me, but even the mach3 irritates my skin so I think I'll give this safety razor a try.

-=Jason=-

You can save even more if you shower only once a month.. You save on water, water heating costs, soap, shower cleaning supplies, laundering of towels and wash cloths, and lighting..

If you wear the same clothes every day and don't change them except on shower day, you save even more on laundry detergent, water. electricity, and heating energy for the washer and dryer.. oh yeah, not using the light so much in the laundry room..

And if you turn your thermostat down to 55 degrees, you can save more money.. just wear lots of clothes to bed and a jacket when watching TV... The not showering thng helps with staying warm...

I got a great money saving idea form a certain famous female musician... only use one square of toilet paper a day... And if you go outside to pee and crap with the dogs, you can save a lot of water...

Ah, those frontiersmen knew how to live within a budget!
:mug:

I just pulled the trigger on a 1930s era Gillette safety razor from ebay 15 dollars shipped, if it doesnt suit me, I can hang it next to my straight razor and strap in my bathroom.

Been wet shaving for a few months now and love it. Check out bladeandbadger.com for loads of info. I use a Merkur Progress short handle, Tabac soap, Shea Moisturizer badger brush and have come to seriously love Feather blades. More than anything, I like that shaving has become sort of a meditative activity rather than something I used to hate.

Been wet shaving for a few months now and love it. Check out bladeandbadger.com for loads of info. I use a Merkur Progress short handle, Tabac soap, Shea Moisturizer badger brush and have come to seriously love Feather blades. More than anything, I like that shaving has become sort of a meditative activity rather than something I used to hate.

amen man, i started shaving with a straight razor 5 or so years ago and haven't looked back. straight razors were what got me into 'hobbies' in the first place. i just had to make my own badger hair brush and the rest is history. i definitely agree with the meditative process statement.

IMHO those electric razors leave a terrible shave, I've tried about 5 different ones over the years and non have come close to the shave my mach3 give me, but even the mach3 irritates my skin so I think I'll give this safety razor a try.

-=Jason=-

Did you try it for atleast 2 weeks before giving up on the electric?

I can tell you that I have found the opposite to be true. I currently have a self cleaning Braun 8595 (Not in anyway cheaper than blades - not only is the razor costly, but it has cleaning cartridges that are a tad pricey, and then the shaving blocks are $40) and I will never voluntarily shave with a razor again. Because the foil "rolls" the skin in front of the cutting block, it actually cuts the hair below the skin. I promise that it is MUCH closer than a blade - my skin is completely smooth after a shave.

The problem is that if you use a blade your hair actually lays flat on your face and makes electric shaves sub-par. You need a minimum of 2 weeks for your face to "recover" from blades. You can do this by 1. not shaving for 2 weeks or suffering through sub-par shaves for 2 weeks or so. Eventually your beard will actually start standing up.

I traveled and forgot my electric so I bought a Gilette Fusion Power. The shave was terrible. The morning shave felt like my 5 o'clock shadow (no exaggeration). Irritated my skin, and when I returned home my electric shaved like crap for a few shaves because my beard was laying flat on my face.

Here is the razor I picked up. I gave it a good oxyclean soak, a quick buff on the jewelers wheel, and a final scrub to get the compound off using mild soap and a toothbrush. other than a little brass coming through on the handle, this thing looks brand new! it is a very tame razor to shave with, I have started with red Personna blades, and I am loving it! I am going to be ordering up some feathers as well as a couple sampler packs to try different blades.

new_pics_017.jpg

Did you try it for atleast 2 weeks before giving up on the electric?

I can tell you that I have found the opposite to be true. I currently have a self cleaning Braun 8595 (Not in anyway cheaper than blades - not only is the razor costly, but it has cleaning cartridges that are a tad pricey, and then the shaving blocks are $40) and I will never voluntarily shave with a razor again. Because the foil "rolls" the skin in front of the cutting block, it actually cuts the hair below the skin. I promise that it is MUCH closer than a blade - my skin is completely smooth after a shave.

The problem is that if you use a blade your hair actually lays flat on your face and makes electric shaves sub-par. You need a minimum of 2 weeks for your face to "recover" from blades. You can do this by 1. not shaving for 2 weeks or suffering through sub-par shaves for 2 weeks or so. Eventually your beard will actually start standing up.

I traveled and forgot my electric so I bought a Gilette Fusion Power. The shave was terrible. The morning shave felt like my 5 o'clock shadow (no exaggeration). Irritated my skin, and when I returned home my electric shaved like crap for a few shaves because my beard was laying flat on my face.

my first razors were electric, norelco types. my latest electric which I still have is a Norelco that had a cleaning station that washes the blades. and yes I've used them longer than 2 weeks. used them for YEARS and the shave has never been as close as I get with blades.

Electrics are just not for me or my face, for others they might work splendid.

-=Jason=-

my first razors were electric, norelco types. my latest electric which I still have is a Norelco that had a cleaning station that washes the blades. and yes I've used them longer than 2 weeks. used them for YEARS and the shave has never been as close as I get with blades.

Electrics are just not for me or my face, for others they might work splendid.

-=Jason=-

Those Norelcos don't do the job for me either. My first electric was a Norelco that was a gift. It was terrible. The foils like the Brauns are where it is at.

I have a Murkur HD, Gillette 7 o'clock blades, Col Conk almond soap, and an Omega Boar brush. Took a few weeks to get the technique down, now I can shave in 10 minutes and get a baby smooth face. Never going back to cartridges.

I have a 1930's era Gillette Tech Safety Razor on the way.. purchased via E-bay.

I can't wait to give it a go.

-=Jason=-

I have a 1930's era Gillette Tech Safety Razor on the way.. purchased via E-bay.

I can't wait to give it a go.

-=Jason=-

Rrom everything I have read, the 30s Gillette tesh is a very tame razor, good starter razor, I havent gotten so much as a nick using mine, just remember not to use pressure, let the razors weight do the work.

Here is the razor I picked up. I gave it a good oxyclean soak, a quick buff on the jewelers wheel, and a final scrub to get the compound off using mild soap and a toothbrush. other than a little brass coming through on the handle, this thing looks brand new! it is a very tame razor to shave with, I have started with red Personna blades, and I am loving it! I am going to be ordering up some feathers as well as a couple sampler packs to try different blades.

new_pics_017.jpg

Glad you're liking it!

800px-Square_edge_razor.JPG

The cheapest option of all.... except the beard.

So want to learn how to use one of these.

Though, since I work in a factory, and have to wear a beard net anyway so I pretty much just shave once a week.

Straight razors are pretty awesome. I would love to try one but after seeing Sweeney Todd I just feel like I never will be able to.

I snagged an old Gillette safety razor off eBay as well. Came in yesterday and I was planning on throwing it in the tumbler and ultrasonic cleaner we have at work today. I'll post before and after pics when I'm done.

I also ordered some Feather blades and my badger hair brush came in too. I'm really enjoying the idea of this and hopefully the application of that idea will be successful. :)

I don't know where I saw it but they put an actual barber's straight razor shave head to head with an electric and asked some chick to feel their faces. She picked the electric shave as smoother. Somehow I doubt it. The old barber was probably off his game and due for retirement.

^^ Bobby you probably saw that in a Norelco commercial... :)

azscoob - Is Oxyclean fine to use on this stuff? The razor I got looks pretty much exactly like yours, I just read not to use a sonic cleaner as it would make tiny 'heat cracks' in the razor and reduce its lifetime... I mean these things are already from the 40's!

I'm thinking of doing the Oxyclean bath instead of my original sonic cleaner idea.

how many shaves do the DE blades generally last? i'm in the market for one now, i think it will be less maintenance than using my straight edge, which i've kinda lost the drive to maintain over the last year or so.

amen man, i started shaving with a straight razor 5 or so years ago and haven't looked back. straight razors were what got me into 'hobbies' in the first place. i just had to make my own badger hair brush and the rest is history. i definitely agree with the meditative process statement.

Same here. I asked my wife for a straight razor for Christmas 5 years ago. It just takes alot of practice and a septic pencil in the begining

I don't know where I saw it but they put an actual barber's straight razor shave head to head with an electric and asked some chick to feel their faces. She picked the electric shave as smoother. Somehow I doubt it. The old barber was probably off his game and due for retirement.

It's true.

My sister had all of the groomsmen get barber straight razor shaves for her wedding. I literally went back to the hotel room and re-shaved with my electric because it was so rough.

Since so few people hire someone to give a straight razor shave these days, I suspect very few barbers are still properly skilled. I go to a guy who does nothing but straight razor shaves all day every day, and it is unlike anything I have ever seen from an electric, mach-3, or safety razor. This man is an artist. I would go twice a day if I could grow facial hair that fast. I hear they all used to be like him.

I have 5 o'clock shadow by noon, my beard is extremely thick and stiff.

Due to my being on HazMAT squads, I have to stay clean shaven. I use a boar brush and mug soap, actual barbasol works great as well.

I get great shaves, but I still go through blades once a week or so, at $5-7 a pop.

Latest posts

Back