Dry hopping mystery bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etisdale

Reaction score
Hi, All. I am currently dry hopping (w/ oak chips) a beer and have noticed an increase in "activity."

Not sure what that "activity" is as I had pretty much hit my final gravity (1.014) by the time I transferred to the secondary fermenter.

For the first week or so, there was some bubbling, but nothing that really concerned me. I thought that the bubbles were due to trapped air or something.

Tomorrow will be the 14th day in the secondary and the bubble rate has certainly picked up (see pic below). Any thoughts on what is going on? Is it the hops? Is it the oak chips?

I was planning on bottling today, but I am now hesitant. Thanks!

dsc00647t.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8554/dsc00647t.jpg

2mh94sp.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mh94sp.jpg

Just a tad of fermentation activity possibly, mixed with off gassing as the dry hops settled to the bottom, pushing up any o2 and co2 that might be present. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Remember, bubbling or not bublling really means little.

Just a tad of fermentation activity possibly, mixed with off gassing as the dry hops settled to the bottom, pushing up any o2 and co2 that might be present. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Remember, bubbling or not bublling really means little.

Thanks for the reply. I just jostled the carboy a bit and a bunch of bubbles released. Likely a sign of off-gassing as you suggest.

I suppose transferring the beer to a bottling bucket and getting the beer off the hops will stop the off-gassing activity so I can prime and bottle. Or should I wait for the off-gassing to stop? I certainly don't want any exploding bottles, and I really don't want the beer to sit on the hops any longer than it already has (14 days). I've read that 10-14 days is quite enough. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I just jostled the carboy a bit and a bunch of bubbles released. Likely a sign of off-gassing as you suggest.

I suppose transferring the beer to a bottling bucket and getting the beer off the hops will stop the off-gassing activity so I can prime and bottle. Or should I wait for the off-gassing to stop? I certainly don't want any exploding bottles, and I really don't want the beer to sit on the hops any longer than it already has (14 days). I've read that 10-14 days is quite enough. Thanks.

The off gassing like any bubbling means nothing. If it's time to bottle it's time to bottle. You hit your final graivty already, so it's fine.

I don't dry hop beyond 2 weeks either.

:mug:

Back