oxiclean question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
i hear everyone here talk about using oxiclean so i bought a container of it. It says versitile stain remover. Are there any things that should be avoided with oxiclean like the fermenting bucket?

Also is it okay to sanitize stuff in a home depot bucket? ive been putting my bottles in it with bleach but is it okay to sanitize my airlocks hose...etc since its not food grade?

The bucket is fine for cleaning and sanitizing - I use them all the time.

I just found out today that you shouldn't use Oxy-clean on aluminum. Other than that, I think you're fine

Be careful with the oxy clean when you first add water to make sure the powder disolves completely otherwise you could scratch you fermenter bucket with the powder granules, they are fairly abrasive. Yesterday I noticed something I hadn't seen before Oxy-Clean Free (no fragrance or added color). I'm going to start using that from now on.

I always add the powder to the water rather than the other way around. I only use the Oxyclean Free since it came out. It doesn't have all that perfume garbage in it. I also found that I can leave it overnight and don't have a film when rinsing as I did when I used the original.

Back