uC Keezer Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bixter1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to put together a quick keezer controller for my new, well, keezer. What do I need to worry about? Turn on @ 39 and off @ 37. What about times in between cycling, min time to stay on??

Most of the time, the freezer's circuitry will have a built-in delay that won't let you cycle faster than x amount of time. If you want to be on the safe side, I would suggest that you enforce a 5 min delay in addition to the hysteresis that you mention.

You're likely going to get fussed at for keeping your keezer so cold, but I'm with you. I like to keep mine in the same range too if I have a light colored beer on tap (which I usually do).

What are you using for your temperature sensor?

Thanks. Im going to cycle the power on and off so I would think the built in delay wouldnt work.
Im going to use some type of dallas one-wire sensor. I have a few lying around.

If your freezer has a built in delay, you'll need to do some extra work to get around it. You could probably use your relay to drive the compressor and internals directly. My controller just has an outlet that I plug the fridge into. That kept my fridge intact in case I ever wanted it to let it run on its original thermostat. I use the same temp controller hardware to control a smoker sometimes, so it's nice to be able to just plug the fridge into the wall while I cook a pork shoulder.

What type of uC are you using?

That's quite a slick little board. I've only dabbled with the Arduino, and haven't ever seen this one at all. While they're both overkill for a keezer controller, they definitely give you some fun options that typical off-the-shelf PID controller will never afford you. I would suggest putting an ethernet shield on it and setting up a web interface to your kegerator.

Good luck with it.

Back