Overcarbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Well, I made my first mistake. not a biggy, but opened a gaelic ale (bottled for 2 weeks), and it fizzed up a little to much. I placed some in the refrigerator hoping that the cooling action will stop the yeast. Not worried about bombs but is there any way to stop it from fizzing up?

Its really not that bad but I am just wanting a good quality beer.

Fermented for 15 days, and reached a the final gravity I was expecting.

Somewhere on youtube I found a video at some point (or maybe someone posted it here) that was very excellent at explaining this. I didn't find it when I looked just now but I'm sure you can find it if you look hard enough.

Basically it explained that it takes about a week for the sugar to get fermented in the bottle and then another two weeks for that carbonation to actually "infuse" itself in the beer. In that meantime the carbonation is separate from the beer and causing a lot of pressure, so if it were to be opened, the beer would foam. Kind of like opening a beer that's still liquid but very near freezing.

Basically they opened a bottle at like 3 days and it wasn't carbonated, one at 2 weeks and it foamed everywhere, and one after the recommended 3 weeks and it had the right carbonation.

I'm not a veteran, but I think you're fine. Don't think you should put your bottles in the fridge, though. That will stop the carbonation and make you have to wait longer!

i will chill new beers in the freezer for ~45 mins right at the outlet of the cold air to test, this calms the foaming alot. hell, i wont drink a beer thats not below 35*.... it has to be in the fridge 2-3 days after three weeks in the bottle before its all good on the pour.

fwiw, my fridge is @ 34*.
yeah, milk might get a little icy once in a blue moon, but my beer is the correct temp for me :) and milk sucks warm

Thanks for the help....I will never make this mistake again. Defintely a NOOB mistake. Be sure to listen to the people on these boards impatient overcarbonators!

I opened about 6, let them fizz over, then recapped them, then put back in the fridge. I put one in the freezer from (nosmatt's advice). Was this right to do? The beer tastes great just have to let it fizz out I guess.

Back