Iron Taste in Vinalla Porter & Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPStrassburg

Reaction score
I kegged my first two beers about a month ago and they both have an iron taste to them, with the stout having more than the porter. I cleaned the kegs with c-brite, rinsed well (no Cl smell after 4-5 rinses), then sanitized with star-san. The kits were from Northern Brewer and had bagged dme and liquid in the plastic jugs. I brewed in an aluminum turkey fryer pot as usual and used my copper immersion chiller. The pot was clean, but not shiny, as it has been used numerous times. Could my IC have given the iron taste? How does everyone clean their ic as mine is always tarnished (dull, not green) then comes out of the wort shiny?
Thanks,
Walter

have you let the beer condition? did you purge your Keg?

i have had this same experience when when bottling but not in kegged beer.

how about your brew water, sulfur can do that.

i used NB kits in the past and id use them again, quality product.

They've been in the keg for a month+ and primary and secondary fermenters for ~4 weeks. I purged the kegs and filled from the bottom. Water is city and I filter it with sediment and carbon filters before I brew with it.

This is a sanitation issue. I forget what the type of infection this is but it happened to my raspberry wheat this year and that is what the LBS said.

Could this be a result of oxidation during my transfer from primary to secondary or to the bottling bucket? I noticed on my last transfer that the pump was pulling air on the suction side.

Back