Tempature and Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod3388

Reaction score
I've recently moved back to the Sunshine state and managed to convince the ball and chain to withhold my homebrew equipment. Kegerator and all! Previously, I was homebrewing in Colorado and had no problems with controlling tempature during fermentation. What methods can I use to achieve the most constant and correct temperature while fermenting conditions are rather warm, seventies in the apartment. Can I place the carboy in the tub with cool water submerging the bottom section of the carboy?

I dont want to repeatedly sample the temp of the brew for the risk of contamination is heightened. I'll do it once ,however, I figure it might work since the yeast will be on top in the begining and the wort will get around 55ish on the bottom. What you think?

Nimrod3388 said:
I've recently moved back to the Sunshine state and managed to convince the ball and chain to withhold my homebrew equipment. Kegerator and all! Previously, I was homebrewing in Colorado and had no problems with controlling tempature during fermentation. What methods can I use to achieve the most constant and correct temperature while fermenting conditions are rather warm, seventies in the apartment. Can I place the carboy in the tub with cool water submerging the bottom section of the carboy?

I dont want to repeatedly sample the temp of the brew for the risk of contamination is heightened. I'll do it once ,however, I figure it might work since the yeast will be on top in the begining and the wort will get around 55ish on the bottom. What you think?

You shouldn't have issues with ale temps this time of year in Socal. I've been very happy with my temps in the closet for the last few brews (APA, IPA, and Cream Ale) they've been smack dab 66F...right where I want it. If you have ambient in the mid seventies, a wet towel with a oil pan full of water for it to wick up will do just fine (most likely).

In terms of techniques to cool during the warmer months, there are TONS of them...a search will result in all kinds of solutions. The easiest of which you've already mentioned. I can hold mid 60's with a wet towel most of the time during the summer. If need be, I have a temp controller and a chest freezer. 55F is a bit cool...what styles are you brewing?

Welcome to the forums.

Back