Failed to Launch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
Pitched a packet of Nottingham this weekend into a batch of Centennial Blonde. Nothing happened in 36hours so I repitched with a packet of Safale 05. Going crazy in about 12 hours.

I take the blame since my Nottingham was old stock I used since my LHBS is not selling Nottingham currently (recall activity).

The question is....

Does repitching or delaying the pitching of yeast cause problems with the resulting brew?

Personally, after 36 hours, I'm not convinced the old yeast wasn't working, might've been just a long lag time. I had a comparable lag time using dry yeast on my latest brew. But like Homer said, unless you have problems with your sanitation, I can't imagine you'd have any issues with that.

Personally, after 36 hours, I'm not convinced the old yeast wasn't working, might've been just a long lag time. I had a comparable lag time using dry yeast on my latest brew. But like Homer said, unless you have problems with your sanitation, I can't imagine you'd have any issues with that.

I agree - 36 hours is still too early. I have waited over 70 hours for fermentation to start. Something to keep in mind on your next brew :mug:

I've had problem with Belgian Wit yeast several times. I've since learned to make a good starter for that yeast. I have a batch in the closet that I brewed on Saturday. Saturday night, after I got home from the brewing downstate, I pitched a huge starter that I had stored in the fridge. NO airlock activity. I am giving it a bit more time, and upping the temp just a bit. I fully expected the yeast to take off like a motherfrakker, but maybe something happened to it.

I'm not worried. As long as the pail is sanitary, I have a couple of days to figure it out.

if I open the lid, there is a lot of foam. Don't know if this is krausen or just foam from the aeration and drive home, The smell is very hoppy (yum) and even some CO2 burn. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I didn't take a gravity reading, as brew day was very hectic, but I can take a sample and check it over next 3 days.

Point is, keep clean and you are likely good to go.

Back