New lagering chamber and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikonis

Reaction score
Got this last week and finally had a chance to hook up my thermostat and get it all situated and ready for use.
Lagering%20Chamber%20001.JPG

Fits my carboys perfectly after adding the domed lid
Lagering%20Chamber%20003.JPG

Now my question, that brew in there hasn't shown any signs of fermentation in three days now. I didn't use a starter. Which of course, in hindsight, I shouldn't have been in such a hurry and just done a starter. I did wait to pitch the yeast (White Labs German Lager) when the temp dropped to 53*. Should I make a starter and throw it in there? Or will it eventually start to finally ferment? I planned on giving it 30 days in the primary anyways if that makes a difference.

Edit: Oh, and yes, I checked this redbull cooler will get down to lagering temps.

I'd let it do it's thing for now. It looks like there is some activity in the second picture, so maybe it's just slow to start.

Also, a bit of advise, be very careful picking the carboy up with the neck handle. You don't want to break the neck off. I'd suggest getting a Brew Hauler, much better support.

That activity was from me putting a support underneath it and shaking it up a bit.

And I don't use the handle much... just enough to get my hands underneath it.

Back