Looking for a good Belgian Trippel/Quad recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a great extract recipe for a Belgian Trippel/Quad. I've tried to find extract clones for Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus Abt. 12, and have came up with nothing. I'll even take a good clone recipe for Chimay Grand Reserve (Chimay Blue) I do not have the ability to brew all grain, and I know it may be hard to make this beer with extract, but I'm willing to try. Thanks for your help!

Check Austinhomebrew.com
I know they have a dubbel, trippel, and qadruppel kits, and all their kits come in extract, partial and full mash. I doubt they'd just give you the recipe though.

Tripel? Easy. Shoot for an OG of at least 1.075. 80-90% Pilsner extract, 10-20% clear candisugar or invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup). Use noble hops for bittering and target IBU of around 30; a barely-detectable hops flavor is acceptable, but I don't like it. Ferment with a good Trappist or Abbey strain; I like WYeast's Trappist High Gravity.

That's it! Pretty simple, isn't it?

Cheers,

Bob

Tripel? Easy. Shoot for an OG of at least 1.075. 80-90% Pilsner extract, 10-20% clear candisugar or invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup). Use noble hops for bittering and target IBU of around 30; a barely-detectable hops flavor is acceptable, but I don't like it. Ferment with a good Trappist or Abbey strain; I like WYeast's Trappist High Gravity.

That's it! Pretty simple, isn't it?

Cheers,

Bob

Hey thanks! That sounds like a good basis for making a good beer. I've seen a lot of recipes that have coriander and grains of paradise in them. Do you use them? Any other tweeks for a great beer?

Not in a Tripel. I save the spices for Wit and Grand Cru. I find the best Tripels to be really, really, really simple. All the spicy flavors come from the yeast strain chosen.

Good luck!

B

So this is a recipe I made when I was still doing extract. Still my favorite beer I have made (including AG) and will probably brew some more up soon. it is definitely not a traditional recipe (especially considering the specialty grains and hops, but this was during the shortage), but the end result is awesome and definitely in the trippel/Belgian Golden Strong area as far as style with a bunch of complexity. I would probably also steep some Special B in it next time and switch to Styrian Goldings instead of EKG.

Steep 1lb3oz Flaked Rye; 13oz Flaked Oats

Boil 60 min (4gal)
3.3lbs Pale LME @ 60min
4oz Fuggles (4.7%) @ 60min
6oz EK Goldings (4.0%) @60min
1lb Clear Candi Sugar @15min
1lb Amber Candi Sugar @ 15min
6lb9oz Pale LME @ 60min
1tsp Irish moss @ 10min

WLP550 , don't be afraid to let it sit in secondary for a few months. Do be afraid of massive and fast start to fermentation. Use a big blow off hose in lieu of airlock. I did not, chaos ensued.

Like I said, definitely not a traditional recipe for a Belgian Trippel, but tried and true.

PS: Sorry I don't have more exact notes on fermentation temps, OG?FG, etc, but I lost all my stuff when Beerputer died. RIP Beerputer

Hey thanks! That sounds like a good basis for making a good beer. I've seen a lot of recipes that have coriander and grains of paradise in them. Do you use them? Any other tweeks for a great beer?

Best secret for tripels is in managing fermentation since all the flavor is in the yeast. Start cool, say 60 deg for a day or two to manage fusels and then let the yeast ramp temps up to whatever they please. My best tripel last year used a Chimay harvest and hit 84 deg before finishing. Tasted just like Delirium Tremens.

Best secret for tripels is in managing fermentation since all the flavor is in the yeast. Start cool, say 60 deg for a day or two to manage fusels and then let the yeast ramp temps up to whatever they please. My best tripel last year used a Chimay harvest and hit 84 deg before finishing. Tasted just like Delirium Tremens.

Without even trying, I just did this with my tripel which is fermenting now. It was down in the shop for a few days at 60* and it was too cold, so I moved it upstairs, now it's 69 or 70*, and the airlock is going effing nuts. A bubble more than once a second. I'm a genius and I don't know it haha.

And the recipe I used:
Steep 1/2 lb aromatic and 3 oz. biscuit malt
6.6 lb of pilsen extract
2 lb. light candi sugar
1.5 oz Sterling at 60
.5 oz Sterling at 20
.5 oz Saaz at flameout
WLP500 Trappist Ale

Also, that's a Keystone Homebrew Supply recipe. Don't want to rip them off.

So this is a recipe I made when I was still doing extract.

Steep 1lb3oz Flaked Rye; 13oz Flaked Oats

Boil 60 min (4gal)
3.3lbs Pale LME @ 60min
4oz Fuggles (4.7%) @ 60min
6oz EK Goldings (4.0%) @60min
1lb Clear Candi Sugar @15min
1lb Amber Candi Sugar @ 15min
6lb9oz Pale LME @ 60min
1tsp Irish moss @ 10min

You have two different Pale LME @ 60 mins in your recipe. Should the second addition be @ 15, or do all of the LME need to be added at 60 min?

looking for an all grain belgian tripel recipe to play with. Any helpful hints? This will be my first attempt for a tripel.

Back