Help Me Pick a Good Thermometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and got three pages in. Found so much good info I got sidetracked but not an answer.

What do you guys use for a Thermometer? I had 4 now 3 of the floating glass thermemeters and they all showed different readings. One actually broke in my kettle as I was heating sparge water. Threw me into a tailspin trying to dump and clean and start over with my second running.

I want something I can expect to be correct. Digital. Not over the top, but not too cheap.

I have seen this mentioned and although costly, if recomended would be do'able.

TM500 Hand-Held Thermocouple Meter :: Product Details :: Palmer Wahl manufactures infrared, thermal imaging, temperature, test, calibration and humidity instruments

What do you guys say? Any suggestions? Not stuck on this would rather spend the cash on something else if this is overkill.

I got a Fisher Scientific Waterproof Traceable digital with probe and 10' of cable for Xmas. It broke already. I was heating up some wort for a yeast starter. I put the probe in the pot at the end of boil, and moved the kettle to the sink. The therm has read 337 F ever since.

So... I would look at meat thermometers with metal wires and a probe designed to withstand high heat, and waterproof.

I do not know what you paid for the Fisher Scientific around 10 years ago I paid $149 for a Fluke 52. I see now they have a Fluke 52 II. Both units have the same features with dual inputs, min, max, records uses J,K and E type probes. At above 148*F acccuracy [0.005% + .3*C]. There is one new on ebay ITEM 350123045293 buy it now for $233 plus $9 shipping. The Fluke 52 has never failed me and has been tested a couple time by a lab and is still accurate. I use it to adjust the big round mechanical dial gauges. I'm a happy camper with owning other Fluke meters all without any problems. Fluke 77, Fluke 87 plus a collection of Fluke Amp Probes and meters for work. When your life is on the line in my field of work you'll only find Flukes with my tools. Call me a snob but this is a life saving tool not some tool Made in China or AutoZone's $4.99 specials.

I was calibrating my mashtun thermometer yesterday against a floating thermometer a good quality new digital thermometer and a meat thermometer. All thermometers except the meat thermometer read within 1 degree. The meat thermometer was off by at least 6-7degrees. I had just put a new battery in the meat thermometer also, so I am a little scepticle of meat thermometers.

Wish I had the answer. It is a very frustrating situation. Spend a little on a thermometer and check it often and hope it doesn't crap out while your brewing. Or, like me spend a little here and there on MANY cheap thermos, check them all and use them all to hopefully get a consistent reading...

:drunk:

Or spend a buttload on a fancy smancy high tech gizmo and pray it does not break!

I dunno.

I looked into one of the digital traceable thermos folks often post here. I think it was around 35 bones. Trouble is some folks report having the probe breaking or going screwy. Who knows.

If it costs $200+ for piece of mind I guess I'll have to be crazy cause I ain't got the dough.

I looked for awhile the other day and am leaning towards this one:

ThermoWorks – RT600B Waterproof Digital Thermometer

It's digital, dishwasher safe :eek:, and is accurate to 1.8 degrees. Plus its only $20. Seems like a deal to me but I don't have it yet so I can't officially recommend it.

Read it again! it states plus or minus 1.8*F that swing range comes to within 3.6*F factor of error. That is too far of a degree spread in error in my way of thinking of your mash temps. Feel lucky and want to gamble on your labor grain costs, bier quality and future mashing with the possibly of having too hot or cold of temps?
I have dropped company Fluke meters in their yellow flexible cases between hand held (many times in the rain) to 12' onto cement then "must have checked after dropping" had them rechecked, they repeated their factory accuracy as from day one new. This is why I own their meters not just for temps but for those in the electrical field I was in. Yes not cheap but a once purchased lifetime quality tool. I've used it to recalibrate many "factory adjusted to be accurate" temp gauges that were not accurate or only accurate at one given temp on the scale. Nuff said, and I have no stock or connection in the Fluke Company.

Yeah, a Fluke would be nice but the one I posted is about $200 cheaper. I'm sure you would agree that there is no comparison between the two. :D

Back