How can you tell if the beer is carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you followed proper sanitation throughout, then observed proper priming procedures, there's really no reason your beer isn't carbing, short of temps being too low (and they'd have to be pretty low).

Just keep 'em at room temperature for 2 weeks, cellar them for 2 more weeks, then a put few in the fridge for a week to cold condition. If you're getting antsy, you can pop one in the freezer for about an hour to crash cool it, then pop it open. It should emit that characteristic "hiss," and have some degree of bubbliness when poured into a glass.

...but do yourself a favor and wait at least two weeks before sampling a brew. The bulk of them should go 4-8 weeks or longer, depending upon the style.

Wait 3 weeks then open a bottle...:drunk:

YEP...there's no "magical gauge" and nothing happens that you can see...best bet is to wait three weeks (if your beer is @ 70 degrees) then chill one, pop it and enjoy!! Or if it's still not carbed then check another in a week.

This is a game of patience...But oh so worth it when it is ready...

You can bottle one of the beers in a 20oz soda bottle (they are usually PET plastic) and then squeeze it every few days to feel it firming up. Still should leave it at 3 weeks @ 70 degrees, but it can be fun.

If you're impatient, grab one of the bottles, hold it upside down to a light (not the sun ;)) and give it a slight shake.

As the beer carbonates it is basically going through a mini fermentation and the yeast will multiply and create a slight sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

If you give it a shake and see sediment swirl around, you know the yeast are doing their job and the beer is being carbonated.

Well, if you see a buildup of sediment that wasn't there before, that's probably a good sign the yeast is reproducing.

+1 to the PET bottle method. I do that. Method:

1. Fill one clean & sanitized plastic bottle as normal (leave headspace just like a glass bottle).
2. Gently squeeze the bottle until the fluid is level with the lip.
3. Screw the lid on as tightly as you can.
4. Wait.

As the beer carbonates, the plastic bottle will swell to its normal shape. Once it's back to the normal shape - which generally takes a week to ten days for me - it's a matter of squeezing it. As pressure builds, it will be firmer to the squeeze. Note: it will never be as firm to the squeeze as pop. Pop is carbonated to a much higher level than we usually carbonate beer - 3-4 volumes (Coca-Cola's standard is 3.7 volumes). Incidentally, that's also the first bottle I drink. ;)

Happy New Year!

Bob

+1 to the PET bottle method. I do that. Method:

1. Fill one clean & sanitized plastic bottle as normal (leave headspace just like a glass bottle).
2. Gently squeeze the bottle until the fluid is level with the lip.
3. Screw the lid on as tightly as you can.
4. Wait.

As the beer carbonates, the plastic bottle will swell to its normal shape. Once it's back to the normal shape - which generally takes a week to ten days for me - it's a matter of squeezing it. As pressure builds, it will be firmer to the squeeze. Note: it will never be as firm to the squeeze as pop. Pop is carbonated to a much higher level than we usually carbonate beer - 3-4 volumes (Coca-Cola's standard is 3.7 volumes). Incidentally, that's also the first bottle I drink. ;)

Happy New Year!

Bob

That sounds interesting . . . I may have to try it for my next brew.

BTW, nice website. :mug:

If bottles start blowing up you know its working. :D

PET soda bottles work good for me.

I bottled 5 gal. of calif. ale, and 5 gal of Burton ale 2 weeks ago. I was worried when a week went by and beer was still flat..My basement dark corner floor is 60 degrees. I moved a 6 pack upstairs to my closet 69 degrees. I waited 4 days and tried an upstairs beer and it is starting to fizz up. Whew! Last night I moved all my new brews upstairs to warm up and mature. M&M

Back