LHBS sells cheaper on Amazon and won't price match

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it sounds like I should go to the local feed and seed and see if I can get a 50lb bag of malted grain cheap. Plenty of farmers around here.

well, it's not just the farming of barley grain. You need to malt it properly and monitor temperature, humidity etc. They are experts at starting germinating and then stopping it altogether. This requires drying the grain, then adding water/moisture, than rapidly drying it again at precisely the right moment. That's a skill where a lot of experience can go a long way. I am actually surprised how cheap malted barley and other (e.g. roasted) grains are, considering the amount of effort and knowledge that goes into the process. $1 a pound is a steal.

Not sure exactly, but I think I know the shop the op is talking about. If so I've had the same experience there. Sacks are pretty expensive and every time I'm in there it seems there are a lot of employees in the back presumably working on filling Internet orders.
Depending on where you're at I've heard Titgemeirs in Toledo has decent sack prices. I haven't made it up there myself yet because of my crazy work schedule so I usually resort to Morebeer.

Titgemiers is a great store. I haven't priced the bulk sacs there yet and I haven't been there in a while due to all of the construction this year in Toledo. I need to make it over there.

Yes we're probably talking about the same store. Almost every time that I walk in no one is there including employees. I have to wait for someone to come out. No wonder the prices are so high.

With Morebeer I can have a sack shipped for $20 making it $57 total and no tax.

With Morebeer I can have a sack shipped for $20 making it $57 total and no tax.

Northern Brewer may be cheaper for you. A 50 lb bag of domestic 2-row is $35, and they ship to me for $18, and I think you are closer. Wait for one of their 20% off sales, and you can get it for $28 + shipping.

Back