AHA Surly Wort Rally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about using GY-150 and adding some D-2 candi syrup and maybe pinot noir grape juice.

Man... I wish I lived closer but I'm no where near Mn. Sounds like a great event. Have fun everyone! Maybe check back and tell us what kind of yeast you pitched and how the beers all turned out?? :mug:

I made a starter of wyeast saison Brett. Gonna add some candi syrup and dry hop with something, just not sure of what yet.

Going to just pitch some Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) and see what happens. Unlike most who've weighed in so far, I'm quite interested in whatever wort they throw my way. It would be pretty surprising if Surly didn't try something outside the box.

I'm surprised at how dark it is. One of the guys filling said it was all due to the oaking process since I asked specifically if any dark malts were used and he said no.

My digital refractometer read 16.7 - zeroed with distilled water before measuring. Does seem to have a slight oak taste, but it is always hard to tell much from the unfermented wort.

If you haven't tasted it yet, think Wheat Chex in liquid form. It's exactly like that. Very minimal hopping, very minimal tartness, very malty with some toast, and a peppery/spicy note at the end. I don't taste oak like I would in a barreled stout or porter for example, so it's not quite as weird as some had feared, I think.

I added a Belgian Ardennes yeast to it, talking to a couple of the home brew places they all were suggested to bring Belgian style yeasts. So hoping it will get down to 4.52 Plato.

I agree with the wheat chex flavor. I was pleasantly surprised by the wort. Ended up with 1.064 OG. I pitched 1010. I'm going to taste it after primary, but currently thinking about punching up the oak with some oak cubes. Also, thinking about adding some Sweet orange peel and dry hopping with a citrus forward hop.

Mine read 1.065. I hit it with WY1007. Was going to add coriander and salt, but decided not to. I am also thinking of hitting it with citrus and dry-hopping. A lovely dark red color.
Anyone have any insight on how they oaked the wort? What a fun event.

I pitched a 1L starter of 3711 French Saison. Looks like fermentation quit so I took a gravity reading today, only down to 1.032.

Anyone else having issues?

I pitched a 1L starter of 3711 French Saison. Looks like fermentation quit so I took a gravity reading today, only down to 1.032.

Anyone else having issues?

I pitched some 3822 and checked today. I'm down to 1.022 with it still bubbling. Gonna start ramping the temp up a little.

Yeah, I had similar issues. I added 1lbs d-45 candi syrup and omega's American farmhouse. I checked it a few days later because it looked like it quit. 1.040...I check again 2 days later, still 1.040. I had a starter of 3711 going so I tossed it in there. It kicked right back up for a couple days, but this morning it seems to have fizzled out again. Funny. I have to check the FG on my ipa I made, so I figure I'll check the Surly Surly.

Alright, mine is down to 1.020 with the help from 3711. I gave it a little swirl and it foamed up pretty good...you know how a starter foams up if ya swirl it around? I'm guessing it's still working. I'll just let be for a couple months and let the Brett do its thing. I've never used Brett, so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
The oak is practically undetectable, so I might soak some oak in wine and add it later. We'll see.

1st batch with nottingham fermented like crazy but i haven't taken a reading yet.

Wife's batch with pilsner lager yeast barely foamed up this morning. I think the garage was too cold. Trying to decide if adding another smack pack is the way to go or bringing it inside to warm up a bit. My brew belt died but my ink bird still reads about 56 F on top of the liquid. Bottom is probably a bit colder.

Excited to keg the ale. hoping this is as delicious as it smells.

I'm down to 1.017. First week was at 70 degrees. Then I ramped up to 78. I think I will ramp up to the mid 80's this week and see where it is at the end of the week. It currently smells tart, but not so much in the taste. Still slightly sweet with a hint of oak in the after taste. My Belgian yeast is giving lots of fruit - I can drink it as is, but will be interested to see where it ends up.
What did everyone have for an OG.
Wonder when Surly will put their half on tap?

I ended up pitching a second starter because I thought it stalled out, 1.5 L of 3711 at high krausen. Did that on Saturday. It's down to 1.010 now... so I kegged it.

After a week in the keg, this came out quite tasty, albeit cloudy as hell.

fYesKYx.jpg

Anyone else package theirs yet?

Back