What can I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
I am very new to this, and really could use some help. I have two questions. I bottled my first brew on Friday, and I think that it has been sitting at about 65 degrees. Is this too low?

Also I just put my second brew into my secondary, and happened to try a little in the transfer. It was not TERRIBLE, but not all that tasty either. How much can I expect the taste to change?

Oh and I also noticed an air bubble in my siphon hose, could that be a cause of oxidation?

Thank you guys I really appreciate it!

65 degrees is fine. The beer will condition just fine. I do all of my fermenting, conditioning and aging in my closet which stays around 68 degrees all the time.

Tasting your beer when you transferr it to secondary, is ok. I do it, as well as alot of people Im sure. The taste will change DRASTICALLY as it ages. Right now it just got done fermenting, and has not had time to mellow and let the yeast clean up after themselves. And its not carbonated. Wait until you've primed, bottled, and let set for another month before passing judgement. Im sure you will be pleased.

As far as air in you syphon hose, Im going to assume you used your hose for a blow off from your primary. Ive never had a problem with oxidation, so I dont know the signs of oxidized beer. But Im going to say that the air bubble is not a problem. Someone correect me if Im wrong.

Congrats on bottling your first brew, and Im sure the second one will be fine!!!!!

Go Gators said:
I am very new to this, and really could use some help. I have two questions. I bottled my first brew on Friday, and I think that it has been sitting at about 65 degrees. Is this too low?

Also I just put my second brew into my secondary, and happened to try a little in the transfer. It was not TERRIBLE, but not all that tasty either. How much can I expect the taste to change?

Oh and I also noticed an air bubble in my siphon hose, could that be a cause of oxidation?

Thank you guys I really appreciate it!

Mine always ferment right around 65-66 and they've all been pretty darned good. I also always taste my hydro readings and at transfer just to get a feel for the changes. I think it's important to understand the process. My beers have completely changed over the process, always for the better.

This is all very encouraging news. Thank you guys. Since I am so new I really just needed to hear it out of someone else's mouth. Patience is a virtue. :cross:

Back