SafeAle05 day 5; nothing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Really? Five days with no activity? On a simple Cream of 3 Crops AG, pitched right at 70, been sitting at 65 in the basement for five days now; nothing...
Any ideas why?

Thanks...

Have you checked your gravity again? Are you just looking at your airlock for activity, which is not a way to tell fermentation is occurring.

Really? Five days with no activity? On a simple Cream of 3 Crops AG, pitched right at 70, been sitting at 65 in the basement for five days now; nothing...
Any ideas why?

Thanks...

Man that's a generic question...could be a bunch of stuff. Leaky lid or air lock, poorly aerated wort, underpitching, infection, but I'd start with the first on the list here. Check all the lid on your bucket or the stopper on your carboy and then check the air lock for any cracks.

If your fermenting in a bucket, have you removed the lid and checked for Krausen forming on the surface? Buckets often show no air lock activity due to the lid not forming an air tight seal.

I've never had US-05 dry yeast fail to show heavy krausen within 48 hours.

When I use 05 I get active fermentation in 6-8 hours with only a distilled water starter for hydration.
I keep 04 and 05 stocked in the fridge.
I agree with the other guys, check for leaks.
How old was the yeast packet?
Did you hydrate or pitch dry?
How much did you pitch to what volume of wort?

If you're not seeing activity and you know that it is not fermenting (which is not told by the airlock alone) then you have a leak somewhere. I had the same issue. 18 hours, nothing with US-05, that is odd. My airlock was not seated all the way in and there was the slightest leak. I had no activity but I also had zero krausen, which is really the way I knew there was an issue.

When I use 05 I get active fermentation in 6-8 hours with only a distilled water starter for hydration.[...]

Gotta give credit to the yeast for surviving, because hydrating dry yeast with distilled or RO water is not recommended...

Cheers!

Gotta give credit to the yeast for surviving, because hydrating dry yeast with distilled or RO water is not recommended...

Cheers!

It's worked every time I've done it.
Additionally, just because something is or isn't recommended, doesn't mean you can't do it or it doesn't work ;)
Besides I got the idea from John Palmer on an episode of Brew Strong. *shrugs*
:mug:

I just cracked the lid on my fermentor; TONS of Krausen! Apparently I was nervous for nothing! Obviously a leaky bucket...
So, like they say, "it's all good"!
Thanks all! :ban:

I made a similar post a few months ago with the same result (leaky bucket). 05 is my favorite yeast in the world and you had me scared for a second. I didn't think it would let you down...

I just cracked the lid on my fermentor; TONS of Krausen! Apparently I was nervous for nothing! Obviously a leaky bucket...
So, like they say, "it's all good"!
Thanks all! :ban:

One reason that I prefer my Better Bottles. I can see if anything is happening. I use blow off tubes every time and the stopper doesn't leak. I can hear it, usually before I take a look.

I also find them easier to clean than a bucket. I soak over night with Oxyclean, rinse, insert a washcloth about a quart of hot water, swirl, remove the cloth and rinse well. Filling it with the Oxyclean takes the longest, maybe 15 minutes. Rinsing w/cloth maybe 10 minutes.

Back