INTERNAL Dimensions of Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momentumbrewhouse

Reaction score
Does anyone know the INTERNAL dimensions of a 5 gallon ball-lock Cornelius keg? I want to accurately measure the volume of beer once filled i.e height, liquid level and diameter will give me the volume per an online calculator. Thanks for your time.

Just use the outside diameter. The wall is so thin that it won't affect your calculations.

You'll have a much harder time estimating the volume in the domed bottom.

Since a corny keg has a rounded bottom it's hard to do the calculations from dimensions. Why not put a gallon of water in it and measure the height with a dip stick? Then add another gallon and measure again. The 3rd & 4th gallons should increase the height the same as the second one did since the walls are straight after the first gallon. The 5th gallon might get into the curved section at the top.

Thanks to TrainSafe and ChuckO. The rounded bottom does pose some issues. I did some estimating but the dip stick marked at each gallon or half gallon increment is a great idea!!
Thanks guys! Cheers!

Back