Maibock - to warm to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwc5

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Maibock this Friday using the following recipe:

11 lbs Pilsner
1.5 lbs Vienna

1.25 oz Hallertau @ 60
.75 oz Hallertau @ 30
.75 Hallertau @ 15

WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager Yeast w/starter

Recently, it has been super hot outside (upper 60's low 70's) and my basement is sitting at 58-60.I have never brewed a lager before and previous to this week my basement was sitting in the low 50's.

Does anyone know a yeast strain that would ferment a little warmer? Would dry yeast do better? Should I use ale yeast? If so, what kind would be good?

I can only assume the temps will drop a little bit, which might get my basement mid 50's, but you never know..

Thanks!

I'm in a similar position as you with a Maibock. My normally 51° spot is about 10 degrees warmer this week do to the "Heat Wave". I'm using WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast. While the Optimum Fermentation Temperature range is 48-55°F the reviews on the White Lab site suggests people have had great results in the low sixties. I've been ice bathing mine to keep it at or below the 55° upper range and it was in the upper sixties when I pitched the yeast. I made a starter and 2/3 of my fermentation is over after 3 days and I had active fermemtation in 5 hours. I tasted my sample today and am very happy with the progress of this. I have 4 ice bricks and put in 2 in the morning and two in the evening to keep it 5 degrees below the ambient temp.

Back