Cocoa Powder addition to a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville61

Reaction score
Ok so I have been reading through the many threads about adding a chocolate flavor to a porter and I really want to try it with my next batch. I was planning on just trying a simple porter recipe then adding cocoa powder (or any other alternative that will give the beer a chocolate flavor)to the batch.

Problem is, the more I read the more I read about how the amount that is used and when the addition is added seems to vary. Some add the cocoa at flameout (i assume that means 0min boil time), some talked about in the primary, some in the secondar, etc. And most used 8oz of cocoa powder but some people said that did not give a very noticeable taste.

I was hoping someone has had some experience with a cocoa addition and could tell me how they did it and what the result was.

Thanks in advance!

I've done this with increasingly ridiculous amounts of cocoa powder, and I've never been able to capture the flavor. Even dissolving it in sugar water beforehand doesn't work.

Look into using cocoa nibs instead in prim/secondary, is my advice. Haven't tried it yet, but I've read that does the trick.

Here is a recipe of mine that uses cocao powder. Cocao Cayenne Porter

Ive always had good results with it. I have also used chcoloate extract in a stout that was very "chocolatey", however it was not very authentic tasting. I have heard good things about Nibs but have never tried them.

Just made a very chocolatey beer. I used 1 cup of cocoa powder at flameout (0 minutes) and just under a cup of cocoa powder when I racked to secondary (it's a 5gal batch). I also had 3/4# of chocolate malt in the mash.

Anything less than that should give you an increasingly subtle flavor,

I used 4 ounces (by weight) of cocoa powder at flame out in a smoked porter and the chocolate flavor definitely comes through. FWIW, I did dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter so the cocoa powder was in contact with the beer for the entire three weeks it was in primary.

To date my strongest chocolate character (flavor and aroma) has come from cacao nibs. In my personal experiences haven't liked the effects of cocoa powder. Always seems to impart a slight chalky mouthfeel in the beers I've had although i know others have had success with it. I will add 8oz+ cacao nibs at secondary. It really needs at least two weeks on the nibs so unfortunately it's a more patient approach to getting chocolate flavor. Depending on the style of the beer I will sometimes soak in bourbon for a couple days and pitch the whole thing in a mesh bag into secondary. I've also been ok pitching the nibs without a liquor soak as long as you feel comfortable that they were packaged sanitary. While in secondary ill give the carboy a stir every couple days to get new beer on the nibs. You will get some chocolate/husk residue from the nibs but nothing you can't keep out of your finished beer with a cold crash or careful racking.

I have to agree with robbywil and PoppinCaps. I have used powder and nibs with nibs giving me a truer and better chocolate taste than the powder. But it is home brewing so some of the fun might be doing it both ways to see which one you have better luck with and prefer.

I am planning on using both powder and nibs in my Breakfast Stout clone. (I will also add slightly roasted coffee beans, so the brew will come out more like a cappuccino stout)... Flaked and malted oats will be used also, as well as vanilla beans!

Regarding combining them, what do you guys suggest for an obvious yet pleasant chocolate flavor and smell?

Damn, it will be a kick-ass brew!

I'm doing a coffee porter with chocolate flavor and used cocoa nibs in my secondary and the chocolate and coffee flavor are amazing

For my stout I add in the unsweetened cocoa powder with about 5 minutes left in the boil. For cacoa nibs, I rack my beer into secondary on top of them for 7 days.

Well, cocoa powder on the end of boil and nibs on secondary it is!

What about the quantities for a 5 gal batch? I dont want it very overpowering, only enough noticiable.

Ive added cacao 220 grams to a 22 galon batch mixed with cacao squares
Ive boiled it for the 60 minutes and im observing till now good results for the flavor and aroma where its not overwhelming its subtle...
Though i think ill have to use a fining agent cuz theres a lot of it in suspension i havent cold crashed it yet hoping that with the cold it self will do
Will post pictures

I use 6oz of Dutch cocoa powder at like 15min left in my boil and it gives a great chocolate flavor. Not overpowering.

I've used dark cocoa powder at flameout and bourbon soaked nibs in secondary. 2 ounces of each gives great chocolate flavor to my breakfast stout. Soak nibs one week before adding to secondary for another week. Yummmmmm.......

Nibs- soaked in booze for 24 hours usually 4 oz Organic Nibs in a jar just covered with neutral spirit however Jag's Whisky is a good idea.
Powder- challenge is the yeast lag or sometimes stall, at 1014 for me using an 05 yeast. I think it is the oil or something about the powder Hersheys is what I used non sweetened.
Nibs will begin to taste bitter if in there too long. So I would pitch your muslin booze soaked nibs with the booze after about 4 days of ferment, so you can pull it in another 6 days (pending on temps) I do not like to leave my nibs in longer than 6-7 days. Do not be afraid to stir or oxygenate the wort, it will be fine.
Chocolate Wheat in the Bill.
Lastly we have been conditioned to actual taste Hyper sweetened and Vanilla as well as Caramel in our chocolates, so when trying to compare, many complain of "not there" or "off from what was expected".

I think Lactose is a waste of money. I use Pectin at a couple minutes before Flame out as much as 4tsp to a 5 gallon batch or a 2.5 Boil. This gives a silky mouthfeel, I add Caramel concentrate at keg and not afraid to toss some Vanilla Extract as well. I reserve a cup before keg and begin to measure what I like and multiply for the keg as to not ruin 5 gal if I do not like the direction with adjuncts.
I make it 6 times a year. Save your nibs and make an Anchor Porter with them, using them in the last 15 min of the boil to an Anchor Steam Clone. Outstanding!

Back