Strong Golden Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
Yeast Starter
2 Liter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Harvested from Previous Batch of Belgian Pale Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
From 63 to 73 over the course of a week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/a
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
Damn good, slightly American but distinctly Belgian, Fairly clean...
tumblr_ljivqmOTzC1qzjhp3o1_500.jpg

11 pounds Weyermann Pilsner
1 pounds American Crystal 10
2 cups Plain White Table Sugar

0.5 Ounces Magnum 13.1% AAU @ 60
0.5 Ounces Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.2% AAU @ 60
0.75 TBS Coriander Seed
0.125 TBS Caraway Seed
0.6 TSP Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
1 Tab Whirflock @ 15 minutes

Mashed 6.5 Gallons @ 152 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparged 2 Gallons @ 170 for 5 minutes

Primed with 0.75 Cups Table Sugar

I just bottled a golden tripel I made a while back. It looks exactly like that, but mine is at 10.7 abv, it is taking forever to carb. I used WLP 500 though.

Looks beautiful!

Thanks guys! The Ardennes yeast is a monster, a lot of blowoff even with a gallon+ of headspace pitching in the mid to low 60's. Checkout this log I did for it here on an HBT thread :) I recorded all the details of fermentation with this strain I experienced.

Any tasting notes? I've got some harvested WLP550 (which I believe is the same as what you've got from whitelabs). It's a monster of a yeast.

I used it firstly in a saison-esque type brew (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/new-world-saison-236779), then harvested it and used it in a dubbel, then harvested it again and ready to use in something like a strong golden. Should have harvested more from the Saison, but as a newb I wasn't quite there yet with that sort of thing.

Also, how are you using the coriander? When I made the dubbel I added it in a muslin bag at flameout and steeped for half an hour while it was cooling in an ice bath (along with a v.small amount of hops).

Could I sub the table sugar for dextrose?

And finally... (sorry for all the questions!) I used the WLP550 on a 1.072 OG beer, after harvesting I know you're meant to use it in the same or higher gravity beers, so would it be bad to use on something 10 points lower, or would it not make much difference?

ChillWill, sorry it took so long.

Any tasting notes?

Malty, definitely, the hop bitterness comes rather strong at 30, but not harsh, due to the dryness. There is no discernible hop flavor but flavor additions on this recipe wouldn't be bad at all, quite nice if I had to guess actually, but a malt dominated flavor is what I was going for here. Even though this finishes dry, it has a sweetness to it. It is 1.007 though so it's "sweet" but not in a cloyingly way at all. It's an American style sweetness that some would say it is inappropriate in this style and would be almost reminiscent of an APA without hop flavor (if you can imagine that!) but I think it really puts a nice spin on it because it's definitely Belgian due to the yeast. The yeast though, as you know, is still a rather "clean" Belgian yeast. Overall it's a nice clean Belgian that is somewhere on the border of a tripel and a golden strong but is probably closer to a Tripel than anything.

Also, how are you using the coriander?
I am just using it in the boil, throwing it in without a bag.

I used the WLP550 on a 1.072 OG beer, after harvesting I know you're meant to use it in the same or higher gravity beers, so would it be bad to use on something 10 points lower, or would it not make much difference?

Lower is ok, people often use it in a higher as you propagate a large amount stepping up which is handy but I personally don't see a problem doing that. It's not going to stress it, so no worries there. Just be sure to use MrMalty.com so you do not overpitch.

Are you doing the coriander for the whole boil? Doesn't that boil off the flavour?

I'm surprised you get strong bitterness from 30IBU, my Saison is 35 and it's really smooth, but then the gravity is pretty high, only went down to 1.010 (83% attenuation) from a 148F mash

tumblr_ljivqmOTzC1qzjhp3o1_500.jpg

11 pounds Weyermann Pilsner
1 pounds American Crystal 10
2 cups Plain White Table Sugar

0.5 Ounces Magnum 13.1% AAU @ 60
0.5 Ounces Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.2% AAU @ 60
0.75 TBS Coriander Seed
0.125 TBS Caraway Seed
0.6 TSP Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
1 Tab Whirflock @ 15 minutes

Mashed 6.5 Gallons @ 152 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparged 2 Gallons @ 170 for 5 minutes