A Pliny Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
I know, you Westies have plenty of Russian River to go around; however, finding Pliny here is a rarity; four bottles - all that they had - from Argonaut on Colfax here in Denber!

Now I can do a side-by-side comparison with my Pliny AHS brew that I am just now enjoying :rockin: I might be interested in trades....

plinyscore.jpg

I know, you Westies have plenty of Russian River to go around; however, finding Pliny here is a rarity; four bottles - all that they had - from Argonaut on Colfax here in Denber!

Russian River has distributed in CO for quite a while now. Sadly they've gotten crazy popular here too as word has spread so shipments sell out nearly instantly. Pays to befriend your liquor store owner - mine holds Pliny bottles for me when they come in.

its just really weird reading this. toronado in SF has had pliny constantly tapped for like the last few months.

I've just recently heard the legend of Pliny. From what I've read, it's supposedly the greatest beer known to man. I guess I need to keep my eyes open for it (I'm not sure if it's distributed in MD), or maybe look for some creative ways to acquire some.

I've read that a clone would cost around $160- $180 to make (5 gal). Is that about right?

What's the general consensus here? Do I need to start auctioning off organs to get my hands on this one?

$160?! are you making 20 gallons of it?

you can get all the hops for 5g for like $15 or something from farmhousebrewingsupply

I've just recently heard the legend of Pliny. From what I've read, it's supposedly the greatest beer known to man. I guess I need to keep my eyes open for it (I'm not sure if it's distributed in MD), or maybe look for some creative ways to acquire some.

I've read that a clone would cost around $160- $180 to make (5 gal). Is that about right?

What's the general consensus here? Do I need to start auctioning off organs to get my hands on this one?

Pliny The Elder Clone from AHS for ~70 bucks

Falling Rock usually has it on tap for about $7.00 for a pint.

Mile High Wine and Spirits, next to Whole Foods in Belmar does a good job of keeping it in stock. They do limit you to one bottle per customer.

Last time I was in there, they were selling it for $6.00 for a 500ml bottle. 6 months ago it was $4.50.

By participating in group buys of grain and buying hops by the pound, I have been able to brew a cover version of Pliny for $22.00 in ingredients for five gallons :D

The four that I purchased were $4.95 each from Argonaut. Last night, I did a side-by-side tasting between that and my AHS Clone, which when I bought it was $60 plus shipping. I know, it is difficult to be objective when it comes to my own brew, and of course I knew which was which since I was the one pouring, but . ... the AHS clone that I made I liked BETTER than the original from Russian River. Mine seemed almost sweet by comparison, and had a long symphony of hoppy notes ranging from bitter up front to earthy, flowery, lemon grass and crisp citrus in the finish. The Pliny, on the other hand, was much citrus bitter through and through, with only a hint of malty sweetness to balance. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pliny, but from a (hate to use this word) "drinkability" standpoint my homebrew was just more enjoyable. I also have a darker color and creamier head on mine for some reason, which is pretty awesome; the bottle of Pliny is more fizzy yellow and the head dissipated rapidly.

I know this beer is one of those one of a kind brews, but I have never tasted it living in Dallas. Would this compare to a west coast IPA style such as stone ipa and ruination ipa?

TheWeeb said:
The four that I purchased were $4.95 each from Argonaut. Last night, I did a side-by-side tasting between that and my AHS Clone, which when I bought it was $60 plus shipping. I know, it is difficult to be objective when it comes to my own brew, and of course I knew which was which since I was the one pouring, but . ... the AHS clone that I made I liked BETTER than the original from Russian River. Mine seemed almost sweet by comparison, and had a long symphony of hoppy notes ranging from bitter up front to earthy, flowery, lemon grass and crisp citrus in the finish. The Pliny, on the other hand, was much citrus bitter through and through, with only a hint of malty sweetness to balance. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pliny, but from a (hate to use this word) "drinkability" standpoint my homebrew was just more enjoyable. I also have a darker color and creamier head on mine for some reason, which is pretty awesome; the bottle of Pliny is more fizzy yellow and the head dissipated rapidly.

It also depends on how fresh the pliny is. Look at the "bottled on" date. Is it less than a month old?

Personally, I don't know what all the hype is. I like Blind Pig better.

Anyone want to trade some for some two-hearted?

Now I can do a side-by-side comparison with my Pliny AHS brew that I am just now enjoying :rockin: I might be interested in trades....

Want a Kbs or any other founders brew?

I will trade two hearted 3 for 1 and hopslam 2 for 1 if anyone is interested in trading for pliny. Looking for a decent amount if possible. I am 15 minutes from Bells. I like Pliny a lot. Only had 2 though. Have a blind pig in the fridge will be cracking that in a week.

I had 2 plinys and 1 blind pig. The first pliny was drank within a month and was awesome. The second was drank a month later at a beer club meeting and all 6 guys who won a 2 ounce pour loved it. I also really liked the blind pig.

It's funny tho, Bell's is our local brewery, its sooooo common. I mean I can get Bells best brown, hopslam, two hearted, batch 10,000 etc 1 block from my house in 3 different directions. I supposed it would be the same if I lived by Russian River.

Back