Barley Crusher - Awesome crush!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So my barley crusher arrived from brewmasterswarehouse, and I ran a bit of grain through it to see how it works....

and...

All I can say is that my LHBS has been killing me. The difference between what I got out of the BC and what I got from the LHBS crush is so night and day, that I cant even really comment on it. I can now see how crush affects efficiency, and why I was only getting 45-55 percent efficiency. Brewing an evil dead red clone this weekend to verify my observations on crush quality.

The Barley Crusher is awesome!

Cheers

Lucas

Yes, owning a malt mill is key - I'd hate to rely on my LHBS for that, and besides, it allows you to buy grains in bulk. Mine is a MaltMill I bought in 1992, and it is no longer pretty, but it still gets the job done. Since I bought mine, several other good mills became available, but I've never seen their work.

How does the grain compare to that bought online? For instance, NorthernBrewer?

I am thinking about getting into AG, but want to research as much as possible to see about costs and what-not. Is the crushed grain from NorthernBrewer or another similar site any worse that what is put through your own? I understand there is a level of control, but do not know if it is any better. Thanks.

Back