First mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstewart

Reaction score
I made my first ever mead (second ever brew) about 3 weeks ago and since then I've done a bit of research and now I have a few concerns. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Recipe
5lbs raw honey
2 gallons water
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
.5 tsp acid blend
1/2 packet champagne yeast
vanilla bean, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, ginger, cloves

I didn't take an initial gravity reading but after 3 weeks its at 1.002 @74 degress.

It's currently in a 5 gallon bucket with an airlock and I'm considering transferring it to a 2.8 gallon carboy if I can get my hands on one because I read that a lot of headspace is a bad thing (and I want to free up room for some brown ale). Would there be any point in doing that at this stage or should I leave it alone?

I didn't aerate it for very long when I added the yeast and I assume its too late for that now. Will that just prolong fermentation or stop it altogether? Can I add a bit of yeast energizer to jumpstart it again?

Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

You can probably rack it now into a smaller carboy - want to make sure the head space is small above that mead. Rack it now, and then every month or so when the lees (yeastie sludge) yets about 3/4" or so until it's completely clear.

Back