1st batch taste test - looking for a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
My first batch was the Homebrewheaven Wizard's Wheat kit

"Approximate Starting Gravity: 1.050
Approximate Ending Gravity: 1.014

Wizard’s Wheat
Ingredient Kit Instructions

Wizard’s Wheat is a light straw colored, tangy beer that is similar to that made in Southern Germany. It is somewhat cloudy, with a spicy, clove/banana flavor that is characteristic of this beer style. Wheat beers are wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer day. Often they are served with a slice of fresh lemon for a bold, sharp taste.

This Kit Contains:

1 Package of light, dry wheat extract with Bittering hops (Hallertauer) already mixed into the dry malt
1 Package containing Crystal Malt (Specialty Grain), along with a cheesecloth grain bag
1 Package of Flavor hops (Hallertauer)
1 Package of Finishing hops (Hallertauer)
1 Package of Irish Moss (a clarifier that you use in the boil)
1 Package of Nottingham Ale Yeast
1 Package of Corn Sugar that is used to “prime” the beer just before bottling"

I don't have my notes with me but my starting and finishing gravity was pretty close to what it was supposed to be. Also, I used the Wyeast 3068 Wheinstephan. I aslo added about 2lbs of honey at the end of the boil.

Complications:
The brewing itself went fine no problems. I pitched the wyeast (no starter), and it sat a week in the primary with absolutely no activity. I think the trip from WA to PA may have killed the yeast eventho it had an ice pack. So I pitched the Nottingham that also came with it. Let it sit for another week in the primary before racking into the secondary. Another concern, during the fermentation there was a heat wave that came through and the basement temp was near 80 degrees so it was alittle too warm.

I poured myself a glass this weekend after 2 weeks of conditioning for a taste test.

Here's a pic: (there was a really nice full head on it but by the time I got my camera out to take a pic it went down a good bit)

The aroma was very nice. However the taste was a bit tangy/bitter not undrinkage or anything, just a bit too much. It was one of those "The first sip wasn't too bad but the more and more I drank it, the harder it got to consume it" kinda deals. I'm gonna wait another week and give it another try and see what it yeilds.

Any input? I'm sure the two different yeasts was the primary cause. Maybe the temperature helped out. Have any of you guys used any honey at the end of your boil when doing hefes? Some of the people who reviewed/posted coments on this kit on the HH site recommended it so I did it.

Thanks

DM

i usually leave in the bottles 3 weeks to condition.. i guess its just the 1, 2, 3 method..

i know we brewed a braggot style beer with 3 lbs honey and it was like that.. the more you drank the harder it got to drink... the ABV was kinda high as well

Back