Programmable Thermostat for MoFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RighteousFire

Reaction score
I am planning on building a Mother of a Fermentation Chiller. My father in law has a used programmable digital thermostat (5-2 day I think) and I was wondering if a programmable one would be able to be used instead of a manual one. I would rather not spend the 30 bucks on a thermostat if I don't have to.

I assume I could just set every time period on it for the same temperature so that it would not fluctuate at all. Does this sound like a good idea?

I think most of the programmable ones use 24v to power them. I'd check the manual if you can get it online. Otherwise it should work fine.

I know the one he has runs off of batteries. I cant remember the model number right now but i will find out and lok up the manual, unless he has one.

I was thinking my other option was to use that programmable one in place of my current manual digital one and have the convenience of a programmable thermostat in my home, and use the basic digital one for the chiller. Seems like a win/win to me.

I know the one he has runs off of batteries. I cant remember the model number right now but i will find out and lok up the manual, unless he has one.

I was thinking my other option was to use that programmable one in place of my current manual digital one and have the convenience of a programmable thermostat in my home, and use the basic digital one for the chiller. Seems like a win/win to me.

Personally that is what I would do. Those programable ones are fantastic, you will notice a differance.

I used a programmable one. The only annoyance is having to set all of the times to the same temp when you want it to stay one temp. But this one was free so I deal with it and it otherwise works fine... If you are planning to replace your home one then make sure you have the right type - that was my plan until I started matching up the wiring and found that I would lose my 2 stage heat. Eventually I'll buy a nice one for the house and use my digital on the ferm chiller.

Back