blueberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Hello all...i am planning on making a wheat this weekend with the following recipe

7 lb german wheat
4 lb pilsner
1 oz Hallertauer
White Labs WLP 300 Hefe Ale

I have 4 -- 8 oz containers of blueberries here. I was thinking of throwing them in a food processor and adding them to this brew. Would you suggest adding them before fermentation or add them to the secondary. Also would you use all 4 of these containers or does it sound like too much. This is my first time using blueberries so all advise is appriciated. My wife has been buggin me to make something like this! thanks!!!

What I did was use whole berries, and pasteurize them. What I will do next time is add a small amount of water to a pot, bring it to about 165 (or whatever is appropriate for pasteurization, get a second opinion), and pasteurize about 8 oz of blueberries at a time. You might have a mess if you use a food processor, I don't personally recommend that.

Also, you want to use a lot more than 32 oz. I used about 6.5 lbs in a 5 gallon batch, and it could have been stronger.

I would add them to the secondary.

Last piece of advise --- use the freshest blueberries you can. Next time I do a blueberry wheat, I will go pick the blueberries fresh (there are plenty of places this can be done right outside of dallas).

you can steep the fruit at 150-160 for 30 minutes. just like grain and tanins, pectins extracted from fruit when you start to hit 180 or above

if you can get the big cans of oregon fruit puree they work well and I believe they're already pasteurized.

I did a Wheat and used the following.. and it came out awsome.. Its everyones First pick when drinkin at my house..Always have a Lemon on hand now!

1.5 hr boil.

4.7lb Wheat
4.7lb Pilsner
1 oz Hallertau 45 min
White Labs..

Back