Ok to take a keg of the gas and store it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
The problem is I can only have one keg at a time in my kegerator for now. The amber ale thats in there tastes like trash but I have a pale ale that I would like to go ahead and hook up to be ready in a few weeks.

I haven't given up on the amber, I wanna give it some time and try it again. Is there any problem with taking a beer that has been on gas for a few weeks, unhooking it and storing it in an extra fridge for a month or so then hooking it back up. Kind of figured it would behave just like a big bottle of beer.

Will I have to recarb it when I hook it back up?

Thanks, off the brew 10 gallons of centennial blond!

No probls there! Been there done that ... Just unhook it and put it in your spare fridge. Finish your pale ale and then once that keg runs out hook the amber back up.

You won't have an issue at all as long as the keg doesn't leak. Air getting at beer is what wrecks it. As long as you keep your kegs pressurized up to serving pressure you will be fine.

Sorry to hijack this.
But on a similar question, can you remove a keg and not store it cold? (60-70 deg) for further aging?

Or is it best, once cold always cold?

thanks

Sorry to hijack this.
But on a similar question, can you remove a keg and not store it cold? (60-70 deg) for further aging?

Or is it best, once cold always cold?

thanks

I've moved them in and out with no problems. Just not too warm.

What is the max temp that a keg under pressure should be stored? Room temp here in AZ right now is about 78. I assume that the higher temps would make it harder for the beer to absorb CO2 but it should okay for conditioning for a week or two...right?

Back