Brewstand Coming Together, Propane Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee_smn

Reaction score
I just finished the frame of my three tier brew stand. It's going to have 2 burners (hlt and bk).

I was planning on getting these burners.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-BG10-Cast-Iron-Replacement/dp/B0009JXYSW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1305904631&sr=8-8[/URL]

They seem like the best value, with high BTU's. I am kind of worried about them being enough for 10gal batches, and that the flame, not being wide enough, might hurt the ss kettle i just got.

I'm planning on running the regulator off the tank into black iron and having a tee/elbow with needle valve go off to each burner.

I'm kind of stuck from there, should I use soft copper with compression fittings, find somewhere to buy high pressure propane tubing (hd doesn't have), or use the .5 psi yellow gas line that I see others using, but know it isn't rated high enough, or should i just hard plumb straight into the burner, which i'm afraid to do in case my hardware changes?

Or is there another option?

Also for what/where are the jets/orifices needed?

Any advice would be appreciated, i've looked through threads for days and still am not satisfied.

CIMG0008.jpg

Those Are definitley enough for 10 gallon batches.( I just retired 3 of them).
The problem with them is they are LOUD and kind of inefficent.
I think one of theese would be a better choice. http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400000/ or http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400001/. You will probably want to hard plumb them to a ball valve (1 each)
then reduce to 3/8" copper. A flare fitting is a better choice than compression fittings.

I just finished the frame of my three tier brew stand. It's going to have 2 burners (hlt and bk).

I was planning on getting these burners.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-BG10-Cast-Iron-Replacement/dp/B0009JXYSW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1305904631&sr=8-8[/URL]

They seem like the best value, with high BTU's. I am kind of worried about them being enough for 10gal batches, and that the flame, not being wide enough, might hurt the ss kettle i just got.

I'm planning on running the regulator off the tank into black iron and having a tee/elbow with needle valve go off to each burner.

I'm kind of stuck from there, should I use soft copper with compression fittings, find somewhere to buy high pressure propane tubing (hd doesn't have), or use the .5 psi yellow gas line that I see others using, but know it isn't rated high enough, or should i just hard plumb straight into the burner, which i'm afraid to do in case my hardware changes?

Or is there another option?

Also for what/where are the jets/orifices needed?

Any advice would be appreciated, i've looked through threads for days and still am not satisfied.

I use those burners and they work just fine for 10 gallon batches, for sure. However, a heat stick helps speed up the process.

Use compression fittings with copper tubing. That's what I did. Easy as hell and absolutely no leaks. Check out my brewstand thread in my sig.

that is a good price on that bg14, might make it hard to pass up.

i think ill go with the compression fittings.

so from the burner it will be jet-compression fitting-copper tubing-compression fitting-pipe/valve?

sound right?

Thanks for the responses and advice guys.

I ended up ordering the similar bg10 like burners on agrisupply.

I changed my mind about the compression fittings, hd doesn't recommend them, not that i really care, but flares do seem more durable and i like the excuse to get a new tool.

My neighbor is an hvac guy, he told me not to get ball valves he said, with gas, ball valves have little control on flow and are best for shut-off valves. He recommended a certain type of needle valve who's name is escaping right now.

So now i'm eagerly awaiting the burners to ship and then I will get the rest of the fittings and post some pics of the progress and first brew day.

Back