Keg Mashtun Manifold design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
I am converting a Sanke to a Mashtun and I was going over the options of false bottoms and manifolds I was wondering if I could just design a copper manifold that would go in a circle around the bottom of the tun and then have a center piece that would run along the bottom of the keg to pick up the wort that would obviously settle in the middle?

The design would be basically be like this
3117-manifold-design-2.jpg

but with a middle piece that would dip into the low area of the keg to ensure that there is less dead space.

FWIW, I batch sparge, but I would like to eventually be able fly sparge as well...

You wouldn't be able to direct fire the MLT with the grains sitting on the bottom. You'd just be duplicating a cooler MLT with less insulation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying...

that's about what mine looks like... I have a Euro size Köstrizer keg that I mash in. I have a 10" false bottom connected to a tube that goes to the outlet valve.

I even use a pump with it and the false bottom keep the grains high enough that it does just fine.

It maxes out at about 36-37lbs of grain plus water.

I can get some pics if you need ideas.
hark

that's about what mine looks like... I have a Euro size Köstrizer keg that I mash in. I have a 10" false bottom connected to a tube that goes to the outlet valve.

I even use a pump with it and the false bottom keep the grains high enough that it does just fine.

It maxes out at about 36-37lbs of grain plus water.

I can get some pics if you need ideas.
hark

pics would be awesome!

Back