DIY Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Now that I have my first all grain brew under my belt, and plan to stick with it, I wanted to make my own mash paddle. I did a search and only come up with some old posts, nothing more current.
I thought I found that Maple is one of the better hard woods to use. I bought a 1"X6"X8' today at HD for about $23.00.
I figure I can make 2 and sell one. I was planning on making them 4 feet long each, but now am seeing some being sold that are 3 feet. Do you think 4 is too big? Right now I mash in a 10 gallon round cooler.
Next, some people say they treat with food grade oil, some don't. Should they bee treated?
I know there isn't a right or wrong, but I am looking for what works for people that have more experience.

As always, thanks in advance!

I used poplar and mine is 3 feet. The length really depends not only on how big your cooler is but how high off the ground is the top of the cooler when you use it. Regrading a finish for the wood I elected not to use one. The poplar is fairly dense and I have not had a problem. If you don't have a site glass, the mash paddle can be used instead. Simply pour water into your kettle in 1/2 gallon increments and mark the level on the mash paddle. Use a file to mark the paddle and not a pen or a sharpie.

Dave . . if you want to ship one out my way . . I'd be willing to throw ya some $$ ;) That dog of yours looks like it could use some dentist work HAHA

I wonder what shipping would run on something like that.

My dog is an English Bulldog. He has a bit of an under-bite to say the least. He's a good dog though!

Dave, I don't know how much work or how much trouble it would be, but I might be willing to pay for a paddle also - you know, to contribute to the canine orthodontal fund.

We'll see how they go. I'll post some pics when I am done, but I am not planning on doing anything that outrageous... I just like making my own stuff.
With this piece of wood I am going to make a 3 footer and a 4 footer. My brother in law got into brewing with me, and he is a bit "vertically challanged" he may need a step stool with a 4 footer. When I am done I will post pics. Hopefully they will be done on Sunday.

My dog is an English Bulldog. He has a bit of an under-bite to say the least. He's a good dog though!

Holy crap, those are his real teeth? Every time I saw your pic I thought you had put some of those fake hobo teeth in his mouth as a joke. I'm not even up to AG brewing yet, but I'll buy a paddle from you if it helps with that dog's grill. :D

I have a sight glass so I don't have to worry about marking it.

And yes, those are his real teeth.

Hey Dave, How did the paddles come out? I've got first dibs if you're willing to ship it. Hell, I can even ship you the box empty with a return shipment label if it will make it easier for you. (I have a business account with FedEx so its really easy for me to do.)

I thought I did. Here it is before I did some finish sanding to it.

mash_paddle2.jpg

Have used it on 5 Brews so far, grain bills up to 24 lbs. in my 10 gallon cooler, no problem.

Back